Chapter 10: "That's the problem"

I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. Today was Thursday: the day of the Fashion Show. Well, day one. If I survive today, I have three more days. But I can’t do it. I just can’t. I don’t have the guts. But I need the money…

Maya said to meet her early this morning at Royal Hall of Industries. Luke insisted that he’d take me and stay there the entire day until the show started. I sat up in Luke’s bed. He was on the floor on a blowup mattress that Calum and I had set up for him. Silently, I got out of bed and slid into the bathroom so I could change. I put on a spaghetti strap tank top and a black yoga pant. I threw a PINK hoodie over my tank top and I was ready to go.

I looked myself in the mirror. I didn’t feel the need to do anything to my hair or put any makeup on my face, so I decided to wake Luke. He looks so cute when he’s asleep. Angelic in a way though. I shook his shoulder. “Wake up Luke.” I cooed, “I have to be at the Royal Hall of Industries in half-an-hour.”

He groaned. “What time is it?”

I checked the time on the lock screen of my phone. He was not going to like the answer. “It’s five a.m.”

Luke groaned again, but this time he rolled out of bed and hit the ground with a thud. “Can I at least eat some cereal?”

“Duh! And put on some better clothes! You’re going to a fashion show not a football game!”

After Luke had eaten and changed we left for the Royal Hall of Industries. He was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a white t-shirt, a brown blazer, and of course, his Vans. He had fixed his hair up in its usual quiff. “You look nice.” I told him.

You look like shit.”

My laugh came up loud and I snorted a few times. Wait, he was serious? I looked down at my lap and bit my lip. Luke chuckled. “I was joking!” he exclaimed, “I think you’re pretty no matter what you look like.”

I blushed like crazy.

Luke dropped me off in the front and he went to park the car. I took a weary step towards the front door. I pushed them open and there was Maya tapping her foot. “There you are! I’ve been waiting!”

“But I’m early.” I said confused.

“I know.” She said coolly.

I followed Maya to a large room. There were people running around and people with cameras snapping pictures, models stripping down to try on more clothes and more models getting their hair and makeup done. Maya led me to a seat where Alejandro was waiting for me. “Makeup first!” he said excitedly.

He got to work and Maya hustled away. First Alejandro put concealer on my “imperfections,” then he put a light amount of foundation that matched my skin tone perfectly. He began to work his magic with an extremely large amount of brushes and powders. Alejandro contoured, buffed, and blended my face until he thought it was perfect.