Chapter 6: "What are you wearing?"

“So what now?” asked Luke.

I just shook my head. What am I going to do? We were supposed to stay with our aunt this summer, but you can cross that off the list. There is no way Cory and I are going back to that hell hole in Melbourne again. There is our uncle who lives in the states, but I hear he’s a drunk. Cory does NOT need to be around that.

I heard three pair’s footsteps approaching us. “Cory can’t know. It’ll only worry him.” I whispered to Luke. He nodded. Ashton, Calum, and Michael were all in swim trunks. They had ray bands on their foreheads and flip-flops on their feet.

My eyes traveled down to Cory. “What are you wearing?” I giggled.

He was in a white t-shirt and khaki shorts, but that was the only normal thing he was wearing. He had a visor on, which had an Australian flag printed onto it, that was about two times bigger than his head, bright blue floaters, with neon orange clownfish, around his arms and ankles and about a pound of sunscreen on his nose.

Cory puckered his bottom lip. “Ashton did it.”

I looked at Ashton disapprovingly trying to conceal my smile. “You did a terrible job mate.”

                                                                          ***

I fixed Cory up. I took away the floaters from his ankles and rubbed sunscreen all over his body. I sent the four of them off with a kiss on the cheek and they were gone. I said a silent prayer to keep all of them safe.

I have grown quite fond of them all. They were kind of like my brothers even if I’ve only known them for a little over a week.

“So what do you want to do?”

I looked behind me. I had forgotten about Luke. “Want to go get some ice cream?”

“Sure.”

We walked out the back door to his car and we drove until we found the first ice cream parlor that came along.

We walked around the streets of Sydney eating a cup of Cookies n’ Cream ice cream, which Luke had insisted on paying for. I felt like a little kid again. My family and I used to do this together. It was nice. It almost felt at home.

“So are you going to tell me why you freaked out earlier?” Luke asked as he scooped a spoonful of ice cream into his mouth.

“Well that’s a story I’ve never told.”

He looked at me expectantly.

I sighed. “That’s how my parents died. They drowned. Here in Sydney actually. We went out to surf one day and a storm came on. I got to the beach, but my parents weren’t so lucky. I was just unfortunate enough to watch them drown together.” A tear fell down my cheek, which Luke whipped away with his thumb.

“Anyway, so what else do you normally do on dates?” I said quickly trying to change the subject.

“This is a date?” Luke asked surprised.

“Um, I—uh—“ I stuttered.

“God, I hope it is.” Luke said looking me in the eyes. He had really beautiful eyes. They are almost crystal blue.

“So if this is a date, can I do this?” I said grabbing his hand. I kissed him softly on the lips. It was beautiful. He was beautiful.  

I parted my lips from his and he looked at me in disbelief. “Whoa.” Was all he could get out. I giggled and pulled him along.

We walked in comfortable silence like you would with a close friend. All of a sudden a perky woman was in my face. “How tall are you?” She pried.

“5’7 and a half?”

“Perfect! Would you like to model for Fashion Week this weekend? We’ll pay you a large amount of money even if you walk down the runway once.”

I was shocked. Large amount of money, modeling, Fashion Week, it sounds like a girls dream, but I had only one problem. “But I’m not pretty.” I said dumbfounded.

“Honey, apparently you haven’t taken a good look at the girl in the mirror. So will you do it?”

I side glanced at Luke. “I guess?” I told her.

“Great! Here’s my business card and would you mind giving me your phone number?” I told it to her and she typed it in her phone. “By the way, what’s your name? I’m Maya George.”

“Alana. Alana Smith.”

“Great! Fittings are on Wednesday! I’ll text you the directions tomorrow! Bye Alana!” Then she was gone.

Now it was my turn to be shocked. “Whoa.” I said looking at Luke.

He chuckled and we walked back to where Luke had parked. He opened up the door and I looked down. I realized that the whole time I hadn’t let go of his hand.