Part 2

Camila tries, she honestly tries not to feel the burning sensation on the inside of her wrist. All she wants is to ignore her instincts. Austin is an amazing guy. He is sweet, charming, and funny. He makes her laugh all the time and he has been there for her since she went haywire from the island. She subconsciously rubs at the two little tally marks. One is black and one is red.

Why she got the marks, she has no idea. Well... she has speculations but otherwise she has no idea. The markings appeared a month after the island. Two straight one-inch lines just mocking her on the inside of her wrist. Camila has speculated many things about the marks. Some things so far fetched she thinks she needs to find new hobbies. Other things so simple and plain that she can almost pretend that this is normal.

Except she knows it isn't.

Camila lost her mind on the island. She lost her mind when Dinah walked out. In a way, she lost herself. She rebuilt herself. The new Camila Cabello. Austin was always there when she got lost. He helped remind her who she was trying to become when the nightmares kept her from a good nights sleep. He was patient when she broke down and verbally attacked him for no reason. Austin became her best friend.

Inwardly, Camila cringes. Lauren was supposed to be her best friend. Except she left Lauren. Camila hadn't talked to her in forever. She hadn't seen her in forever. To make matters worse, she hasn't even tried to make contact with Lauren or thought about it. Instead Camila has become a tattoo artist. Neglecting education entirely. Austin has done two years at a community college. He works as a chef and runs his own small businesses. Camila tends to help out whenever she can, as she usually takes later shifts at her own job. However, today she decided to take a day off from helping.

After the breakfast she cooked Austin, Camila spent her morning reading and relaxing. Austin told her it'd be okay if she took work off entirely for the day. Claiming she earned a little her time. Although it sounded wonderful, Camila wanted to do her fair share of work. Austin was really too sweat sometimes.

She plays with the ring on her finger as she walks down the street. Its beautiful really. Its expensive. Its everything she ever wanted after they had been together for six months. Call her a dreamer but she really thought Austin would be the one. It seemed like wistful thinking at first but now its time to start planning for their wedding.

She had brought a handful of magazines to the coffee shop. It was a pretty day so she would start looking at wedding arrangements and colors before going into work around six. Camila enjoyed the outdoors mostly. Although she preferred to be indoors at night. Too many memories. Sometimes it became overwhelming.

Sighing inwardly and outwardly, Camila loses herself in her work for a while. Her mind eventually wandering from the task at hand. It wasn't like she tried to be the same. But the trickery, the lies, the deceit... She would've been startled if any of the girls came out the same afterwards.

Speaking of the girls.

Dinah Jane is running across the street. Her beautiful hair flowing behind her in controlled curls. She is wearing heels, jean capris, and a cut off top. Her body is stunning and for a moment Camila wonders what it would've been like. If Camila and her could've been in love. Could've been married.

But thats a foolish thought to entertain. She loves Austin.

The skin on her wrist prickles uncomfortably.

The tall woman, even taller now with heels, is carrying a binder and has a purse slung over her shoulder. She is glancing around when her eyes lock on Camila. They hold eye contact for what seems like hours. Each person trying to guess what the other is thinking.

Just then Camila sees a flash of familiar hair. Her jaw basically drops when her eyes catch up. There is Normani Kordei. Taller, toned, hair pulled back into a pony tail. Her fashion sense is astounding as Camila has never seen her looking more confident. The woman is grinning at Dinah and waving.

Dinah runs over and they collide in a hug not three feet from Camila. Against her better judgement, Camila beckons the two.

"Normani, Dinah!"

Camila pretends not to notice the way Normani tenses. Pretends not to notice the way the light in her eyes dims and her smile falls a little. She feels her hesitance in the hug Normani gives her. Can feel the tension between the three of them.

Normani is the first to break the silence. "A ring?" Her voice a mixture of surprise and something else Camila can't name.

Stupidly, Camila glances down at her hand, wiggling her finger and watching the sun glint off the diamond. Then she glances back up at Normani. "Yeah Im engaged."

Silence. And then,

"Oh my god thats amazing Camila! I love weddings so much. Do you have any idea what dress you want? Or who you are inviting? Have you made any friends? Stupid question, of course you have. What are you doing here anyway?"

Her first response is to laugh. Partially in relief, partially in thanks, partially in surprise. Camila didn't know Normani that well but it seems she is doing great. And she has a great capacity to forgive. That or maybe the island did some mental damage to her.

"Its a long story." Camila fiddles with her fingers nervously.

Normani grins. "Its a good thing that my job allows me to travel and stay somewhere as long as I need."

"Speaking of, what are you doing here? And whats your job?" Camila wants to facepalm as soon as she says it.

Normani Kordei. Author of two best selling series. Translated into over thirty languages. Camila had started reading one of the series. They were amazing, captivating, and beautifully written.

"I'm a writer and I moved here with Dinah." Normani explains, a small smile taking over her face. Making her look almost shy. "Its a long story."

Camila grins. "Its a good thing you moved here then." She checks her watch. Shit. "I need to go get ready for work but Id love to talk and catch up if thats okay."

Normani nods then turns to Dinah, who has been silent through the entire encounter. Shes blank faced, her mind seemingly distant. Her and Normani share a conversation through their eyes before Normani takes out a piece of paper and writes her number on it, along with Dinahs. Without saying goodbye, Normani takes Dinah's hand and ushers her away.

Camila stares down at the paper thrusted into her hands then back at their retreating figures. They couldn't be dating... right?