Paddle Boarding

The next day, they decided to go to the beach, and Cami was only a little disappointed she wouldn't be able to go. Instead, she was sitting on the couch watching a movie when Harper ran back in the house. "Hey! We just forgot snacks. Aunt Anna's on her way back too. I don't know what she forgot." She got some granola bars out of the bag. "Do you need anything? Do you want me to stay here with you?"

"No, I'm good Harp, thanks though." Cami said.

"I don't want to just leave you alone, I feel bad." Harper frowned.

"It's your birthday present harp, go enjoy it. I'm gonna be fine," Cami said reassuringly.

"Ok. Text me if you need anything." Harper said before she ran back outside.

Anna came inside and handed Cami a slushee. "I got this for you!"

"Aww thanks," Cami said. "How's the beach?"

"It's beautiful," she said. "I love it." Anna sat down crosslegged on the couch across from Cami. "But I thought you needed some company."

"I'm ok," Cami said. "But that was sweet, thanks."

"Do you want to come down to the beach?"

"I can't," Cami said. "I can't get my cast dirty or wet and plus the sand would be too hard for my crutches."

"There's a path through the sand. That's how I got down there. And tie a garbage bag around your leg again."

"I don't know..." Cami said.

"Whatever you say..." Anna started. "I'm going paddle boarding though," she said, knowing that Cami would change her mind.

"Aunt Anna you can't paddle board," Cami said.

"Maybe not, but I'm gonna try," she said.

"Ugh fine I'll come. Where's a garbage bag?"

"I'll get you one," Anna said as she went into the kitchen and got her a garbage bag. "Now go get your swimsuit on, I'll wait for you."

Cami went upstairs and put on her swimsuit and one of her favorite pair of sandals before going back downstairs. "You're not going to make me regret this are you?" She asked with a smirk.

"Nah, you're gonna enjoy watching me fall off a paddle board." Anna smiled at her. "I'm so glad I got you out of the house. I was hoping you'd want to come down to the beach for a little while."

"Yeah me too, I just didn't think I could."

"Yeah, you'll get used to improvising for a while. I promise you once you realize all the things you're still able to do, it's a ton easier."

"Yeah I think it will be. It still hurts so bad."

"The bruising will go away soon," Anna said. "So you think I'll be able to paddle board?"

"Yeah, I think so. Please, just don't do it by yourself, I don't want you to fall off and not have any help." Cami said nervously. "I would probably die if something happened to you. Please be careful."

"It's gonna be fine. I won't go in deep water and Ben will be right there with me. It's not like I can stand up, or even kneel. I'll just have to sit on the board, I promise it'll be fine."

"Ok," Cami said. "I'll just chill out here since I can't really get anywhere on the sand.

"Try go on the sand a little bit. Maybe you could like push me and then jump or something. That way we can both get over there easily."

Cami grabbed onto the handles of Anna's wheelchair as she let go of the crutches. "Ok, it's worth a shot!" Cami started pushing Anna and hopping on one foot until they made it by Beca, Chloe, and Ben.

Chloe smiled. "Hey, wow Anna you actually got her out of the house! How you feeling Cam?"

"I'm ok, aunt Anna said that she wanted to try paddle boarding and I figured if she could do that I could come and hang out and be perfectly fine." Cami smiled. "Now go paddle board, I wanna see this."

Anna laughed. "Ben, I wanna try paddle boarding, can you help me?"

"You can't even stand, honey, how are you supposed to paddle board. I don't even know how to paddle board." Ben gave her a look of disapproval.

"I can do it, I'll just have to sit."

"I'll do it with you," Chloe said. "I did it when I lived in Florida. It's really easy once you get the hang of it."

"Thanks Chlo! Can you just carry me out there Ben?"

"Yeah," Ben said as he carried Anna out to about 3 feet deep of water and helped her get on the paddle board.

Chloe smiled when she saw Anna freaking out. "Calm down you're gonna be fine. I'm right here with you," she said. "Plus I'm probably the best paddle boarder in the world."

"Don't get to cocky, Beale," Anna said nervously.

"Stop shaking, you're gonna be fine," Chloe said. "Just sit crosslegged for me and I'll help you."

Anna did as she said and they started going into deeper water. "Chlo, can we not go any deeper? I hate deep water."

"Sure!" Chloe said. "So then kneel but sit on your feet and start paddling."

Anna started paddling but started freaking out when the board slightly tipped. Chloe held on to it as tight as she could. "It's ok, I promise it won't tip and even if if does, I'll still be there to catch you. Harper's coming out to help keep the board from tipping. You'll do fine."

Harper came over and held onto the board for Anna. "Hey," she said as she grabbed Anna's hand. "It's ok. You're doing great."

"I know I'm fine, it's just its the first adventurous thing I've done since I got sick and I'm so terrified somethings gonna happen." Anna took another deep breath.

"I promise you'll be ok, and if you want, we can always go back and you don't have to do it if you don't want to." Harper squeezed her hand. "You made it this far and I'm really proud of you."

"Ok, let's try this again," Anna said as she picked up the paddle and started paddling, Chloe and Harper at her side.

"You're doing great!" Chloe said. "I'm so proud of you!"

Anna smiled. "Thanks! I'm just so nervous I'm gonna fall and even though the water is shallow enough, I still won't be able to stand up so I feel like I'm gonna drown."

"We got you," Chloe said. "I promise you're a natural at this. When you get better in a few years, I'll teach you how to stand and do it. You'll be great."

"Thanks Chlo that means a lot. You honestly think I'll get better?"

"Definitely," Chloe said. "Look at you now. You're so much stronger than you were a month and a half ago. I know you can do it."

"Thanks Chlo. I think we should start going back before the tide comes in."

"Ok!" Chloe said as she helped Anna push the board back to shallower water.

Once she was safely back on land, Cami gave her a hug. "I knew you could do it. I'm so proud of you."

"I'm proud of you too, sweetie," Anna said with a smile.