The Party

When they got back to the house, Ben was there, and so was Aubrey. "Aunt Aubrey you came! I'm so happy, I haven't seen you in so long it's so good to see you again!" Harper said, running up and giving the woman a hug.

"Hey!" Aubrey said, "I'm so sad I couldn't make it to the ceremony, I was planning on coming and then my flight got delayed because it was raining in Georgia, ugh I hate the weather down there."

"Don't worried about it, you tried, dad didn't even try to make it home." Harper said.

"I know kiddo, your mom told me, I'm really sorry." Aubrey gave her a sympathetic hug.

"It's ok, I'm happy you're here!"

Anna slowly wheeled her way over to Aubrey. "Hey Bree, it's so good to see you, it's been the longest time. 2 years now, right?"

"Yeah, something like that. How are you feeling? Beca was telling me what happened and I feel terrible for you."

"I'm doing ok I guess, it's just hard to imagine living like this for the rest of my life."

Harper popped into the conversation. "But she's not going to because she's going to be able to walk again, I promise."

Anna laughed. "She has faith in me, and she somehow convinced me that I will walk again, against all the odds."

Aubrey sat down across from her. "I believe it too. I've known you for like what 14 years now, and you're a fighter. You're not gonna let this stop you."

"You really think so?"

The doorbell rang and Harper opened it to see one of her favorite teachers besides Chloe standing there. "Mrs. McMorrow, hi! Wow this is such a surprise, thanks for coming."

"No problem, Chloe invited me! So, how does it feel to be in highschool?"

"Terrifying, to be honest, because at the same time I want to grow up, I can't imagine not being a kid anymore."

"I totally get it, your speech was amazing by the way, I was really emotional about it."

"Wanna meet the amazing person that inspired the speech?" Mrs. McMorrow nodded. "Aunt Anna, my teacher wants to meet you!" Harper called to her aunt.

Anna came into the room a minute later. "Hi!"

"Hi! Harper's speech was so nice about you, I can tell you must be a really great person to have in her life."

"Yeah, I was crying so much, it meant the world to me."

"To be honest, you really are an inspiration."

"Well I'm not too bad off, what happened was I got a shot with an infected needle and it went into my bloodstream and paralyzed me from the waist down, but I'm really lucky because I could have lost a limb, or my organs could have shut down, so this is really not too bad. Plus Harper thinks I'm going to walk again, so I have hope that I'll go back to normal."

"She's really determined," Mrs. McMorrow said. "I admire you about that, girl!" She said to Harper.

"Oh, thanks," Harper said. "Do you want something to drink?"

Mrs McMorrow nodded. "Sure, I'll have a water, thanks."

Harper went into the kitchen and brought back a water. "Here you go! Please, sit for a while, we'll probably eat in a half hour or so"

Mrs. McMorrow smiled and walked into the living room. Anna looked up at Harper. "She seems really nice."

"Yeah, she's a lot like you, you know."

"How?"

"Well for starters, you guys could be twins, and she also is super sarcastic, and she's one of the funniest people I know."

"I'm not that funny," Anna said, "Am I?"

"You're hysterical," Harper said. "You're literally the funniest person I know."

"I am not."

"Yes you are I swear, your comments and everything make me laugh so hard. And back to what you have in common, you're both super sensitive."

"She is? She doesn't seem like it."

"Don't tell her this, but last year a few boys were making fun of her and being really mean to her and she cried the rest of the day."

"Oh my god that's horrible!"

"I know I felt so bad for her. But you guys really have a lot in common."

"Cool, hey would you mind coming over tomorrow to help me with some housework? Ben is working late tomorrow and he has to leave really early."

"Of course! Cami can come too. It'll be fun! We'll put on some music and hang out."

"Cool, thanks so much for everything, Harp."

"No problem, you would do the same for me so it's no big deal. Also you're like my favorite person ever."

"Aww that's so sweet. Oh and this will sound lame but thanks for not treating me any differently."

"How could I? It's a stupid piece of metal and it means nothing to me. You, on the other hand have been there for me since day one."

"That means the world. Now go hang out with people, I'll go see if they need any help with dinner."

Harper bent down to give her a hug and then went into the living room until dinner was ready. When dinner was ready, she went to the table and sat between Camila and Anna. "Thank you all for coming, this is really nice being all together."

Aubrey smiled. "I wouldn't miss this for the world. Ugh I was so mad, I sat at the airport for 6 hours."

"Oh my god that's horrible, I would have just gone home," Beca said. "I hate airports."

"Why?" Chloe asked. "They're so much fun."

Anna rolled her eyes. "They're so gross and little kids are sneezing everywhere without covering their mouths and it's just disgusting."

Mrs. McMorrow laughed. "Thank you! At least someone gets it."

Ben's phone rang. "Oh excuse me I gotta take this." He came back a few minutes later. "I'm so sorry, there was an emergency at work and I have to go in. I'm sorry Harper, I wanted to be here to celebrate with you."

Harper smiled. "It's ok, it's not your fault. Thanks so much for stopping by."

Anna sighed. "Well I guess then I have to go too."

"Nah," Chloe said, "I'll drop you off or you can stay until Ben gets home or whatever. Whatever's easiest."

"Ok, thanks so much Chlo."

"No worries!"

After dinner and dessert, everyone went home. "Hey, why don't we watch a movie!" Harper said. "Aunt Aubrey are you staying here?"

"Yeah I'm staying at Chloe's, I'm up for a movie."

"Good! High School Musical?"

"Yes!" Anna said. "I loved that, another thing I was obsessed with in college."

"You know most people go through their Disney channel obsession when they're like 10 right?" Harper joked.

"I had been obsessed since I was 10, now I'm an old lady."

"You are not, 42 isn't that old, you act like you're still 20, though, so it doesn't matter."

"That's true haha, do you have any popcorn?"

"Yeah, I'll go make some after I start the movie."

"Can you help me onto the couch, I can't sit in this thing anymore, it's so uncomfortable."

"Yeah," Harper said as she helped lift Anna to the couch. "Better?"

"Hell yeah! Thanks Harp."

Harper smiled as she walked into the kitchen and heard Anna singing The Start of Something New with Chloe. "You guys are so weird."