“You got her into this mess,” Simon growled at Eros, uncharacteristically bitter. “You’d better get her out of it too.”

I wanted to jump in and tell him that this wasn’t Eros' fault – I could have chosen to not follow him, after all. But something else caught my attention first. Eros had the power to get all of us out of this mess, yet he hadn’t… The question was why.

“Why didn’t you just use mind control on Mr. Hammerhead?” I inquired uneasily. “You’ve been doing it all night, after all.”

“I thought you considered that unethical,” Eros retorted, his eyebrows raised mockingly.

“I do, but you don’t really seem to care about what I think tonight,” I replied.

Eros sighed then, and sat down on one of the tables. “I can’t, okay.”

“What do you mean, you can’t?” Simon asked, incredulous. “You can’t control it at all?”

I snorted. “He sure can. He showed me just how much he can: he used it on Mrs. Tally and a guard tonight.”

Simon looked abashed, but he didn’t comment on that. Like me, he focused on Eros not using his powers on Hammerhead just now.

“I can’t do it, okay!” Eros exclaimed, irritated. “Controlling one person I can manage, but Mr. Hammerhead, Holden and Jeffrey? That’s a lot, even for me.” He paused, seeming to consider if he could tell us something else or not.

“What is it?” I asked, making sure my voice was soft and compelling. “You can tell me, Eros.”

His eyes shot daggers at me. He obviously wasn’t buying the nice act – he knew me too well. “A lot of my mind control is based on the will power a person has. Holden for example would be easy to control. So was Ty, the guard. But Mr. Hammerhead… he’s practically oozing will power – he probably bathes in it, eats it for both breakfast and dinner, and uses it for cologne.”

I couldn’t help but smile a little at his phrasing. When I noticed Simon’s tensed stance, I quickly sobered up. “Okay, so – what line are we gonna feed Mr. Hammerhead? I don’t want to serve detention until I’m old and grey.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got it all covered,” Eros promised. “What I’m curious about is how fairy over here knew we were outside.” His eyes were taking in Simon, true curiosity in his expression.

“Demona gone, full moon – not hard to figure out,” Simon lied. To me, it was very obvious he wasn’t being honest, since I could feel his mind spinning. I wondered if Eros would catch him in the lie, since he didn’t have the insight I did.

“Sure,” Eros huffed, his expression telling me what I wanted to know: he didn’t believe a thing Simon had said. Great.

“Look – what matters is what we will tell Mr. Hammerhead,” I repeated my previous concern. “And I’ve got it covered won’t make me stop pursuing this.”

Eros just shrugged. He was obviously very certain of his cover-up story, not feeling the need to tell me. Or maybe he just wanted to make me sweat – I wouldn’t put it past him. Further drilling wasn’t possible, since Simon jumped in with his own questions.

“Why did you go outside tonight?” His face was hurt now, confused. “You know how dangerous it is to be out when the wolves are changed… After what Hammerhead told you, I thought…” He didn’t need to finish, it was obvious that he’d truly thought I would do the sensible thing and stay in for the night.

“Yeah…” I agreed. “I thought so too.”

“Then why?” Simon asked, stepping closer to me, gripping my shoulders and shaking me slightly. “Why did you go outside, with him of all people?”