Chapter 18 - Conviction

Start from the beginning

"Welcome all to the final half of the apprentice showcase." She said, her voice ringing true and clear thanks to the Soundboom dragons projecting her voice around different points in the room.

The noise subsided a little but Nivara could hear the muffled voices of half baked plans and nervous laughter. She took a deep breath, ignoring the hesitations and cracks in her voice and felt the familiar pang of a Traited without a partner. Kaldra may have been a bit stubborn at times but Nivara couldn't help but long for her strong presence even though she would normally be concealed within her cloak. Knowing she was there was what mattered to Nivara the most. Right now, she'd do anything to feel that again.

"This is the last chance for these young Traited to prove themselves in front of our noble clan to become the next generation of Excelliars."

Nivara turned her head towards the crowd, suddenly startled at Domino glaring at her from above, perfectly placed within her line of sight. A knowing smile bore through her mind as a memory of Jester's green eyes flashed into view. Nivara fought the urge to bite back her words, faltering as she tried to continue on.

"You will ...you will all…"

She was stunned into silence, her words dying within her throat as she struggled to hold onto her notes or even take a glance at them. Nivara's face fell, the immaculate mask she had crafted for years of spying and being someone else began to slip at the prospect of losing everything before she could complete what she had set out to do. 

"What's she doing? Can't our Regent make a simple speech?"

The Soundboom dragons had scattered, picking up a variety of comments from all around in a cacophonous mess of warbled speech but the Mist Maiden knew exactly what they thought of her. Nivara forced herself to look down, embarrassed and hoped to find some kind of miracle within the pages but instead found something a little more familiar. It was a slowly appearing sketch of two dragons with a small message underneath.

Look left.

Nivara's gaze hovered over the crowd, still fixated on Domino's position as she forced herself to do as the message said. A few seats along, right near the front a few rows below her target Nivara could see the sky blue jacket of her own apprentice glaring at her just as that wretched Fire Traited did moments ago. But his eyes held a kindness and strength that Domino's did not. There on his lap Scout held on tight to his new Agar who was wriggling to break free and leap into action against Domino but a small Knuckle Burst dragon held firm and let out a hiss of warning. Nivara was shocked at the timid dragon who swatted Pocket away with her tail and nudged a stack of what looked like colourful card tied with string.

Not the best looking grimoire in the world but my Gradient grimoire is powerful, Master. It seems we were a bit off about Domino's plans. She has acquired the help of an Influencer Tarragon. Don't focus on her. We're right here.

Nivara's shock was clear to see despite her mask obscuring her features. Scout had used his Trait to warn her of a potential threat before she had even began and had slipped a page of his own creation into her notes. Just like she had recorded her own report in her grimoire, Scout was taking her lessons to heart and communicating with her the only way he could. His Trait.

I'll keep in touch.

Nivara watched as the page was cleared like an invisible eraser, Scout's etchings drifting away as she marvelled at the versatility of his Trait. It was nice to know that the Seven Principles of Trait didn't solely die out with her. He had been diligent in his studies and Nivara had never appreciated it as much as she did this very moment. Her heart swelled to see them all so lively, Ripple most of all who was now curled up against the banister, not taking a single look towards her Agar. She gave them a grateful smile before turning her back on the crowd for a moment, attempting to clear her head.