Book 1: Chapter III

A/N: Hey, guys! Wrendsor here. I just wanted to inform you all that I have this story posted on fanfiction.net under the same username. I have 29 chapters written on that site for this story, so if you feel impatient you can go ahead and read Given to Fly over there. I've made a few grammar adjustments transitioning the story from there to here, but that's all that is different.

Anyway, this story be in first person for Percy, Annabeth, and Max (who will be joining us in a couple chapters, along with the rest of the flock). Anything else will be labelled as third person, as you'll soon see. Happy reading. :)

*                     *                     *

Annabeth

Silence rang in my ears. It's funny how the absence of all sound could create a sound itself. Of course, the ringing was just caused by the ears straining to hear something and reacting to wind blowing on the minuscule hairs in the inner ears, but - okay, I needed to focus.

My mind was still reeling from the events of today (probably why my thoughts kept wandering). I had spent the rest of the afternoon breaking the news to my family and Camp Jupiter that Percy had been kidnapped by unknown strangers. No one had taken it very well, understandably.

Now, I was standing in front of the ping pong table that served as the Camp Half-blood head counselors' meeting place. As soon as the words had passed my lips that Percy had been taken once again, all noise had cut off abruptly. Even Leo had stopped fidgeting with his helicopter made out of pencils and pipe cleaners to gape at me.

Now, my gaze travelled around the room. Jason appeared to be shocked (literally, sparks were flying off of him and his hair stood on end), Piper had a look of deep concern on her face, Leo's nose caught fire, Butch's face drained of all color, and even Clovis's normally drooping eyes were now bulging out of his head. Chiron, who I had informed previously, and Nico were the only ones not blindsided by the news so had time to mask their emotions. Clarisse, for her part, looked outraged.

The daughter of war huffed, "What did Prissy get himself into this time?" Normally I would have reprimanded her for a comment like that, but instead I just glanced somewhat thankfully at her. The silence had been getting uncomfortable; everyone's stares had me shifting on my feet.

"I'm not sure who took him or why. Though their guns would suggest that they were mortal, at least partially." Everyone looked taken aback by this revelation.

"So, you're saying that either demigods took him, or regular old humans did?" Miranda Gardiner, head of the Demeter Cabin while Katie was at school, asked me, raising a brown eyebrow.

I nodded in affirmation.

"What I'm wondering is how Percy could be taken down by a mortal, with all his cool Aquaman powers and stuff," Leo piped up.

I shot daggers at him, my temper flaring. "We were sort of preoccupied with fighting off a rogue hellhound, Valdez, and as I mentioned before, they had guns that were filled with tranqs." I was nearly growling; Leo held his hands up in surrender. "Once I had finally realized he was gone, two more hellhounds had appeared and-"

"Enter Nico," interrupted Will Solace. Nico sent him a death glare, but the son of Apollo just winked at him.

"Yes, Nico arrived and helped me defeat the rest of the monsters. When we were done, he was long gone." I swallowed the feelings that were trying to rise up - the anger, desperation, and complete loneliness that filled me when my other half wasn't around. I would deal with the emotions later, after we had a plan to rescue him.