Chapter 7: The Ball

"Tell me exactly what Jill said, word for word." Sam leaned forward in her chair.

"Jill said that Grant was questioning some things and that he thinks he has feelings for someone besides Janet. She said that she didn't know who it was, but that she sees the way he looks at me when he thinks no ones looking." Isis grabbed one of the dresses and wriggled into it. She already knew she wouldn't like it, but Sam had insisted.

"She's his sister. She would know if he acts different around you."

Isis stepped out of the dressing room. "Yeah, but she wasn't one hundred percent sure. She could be wrong."

Isis turned around for Sam. "I told you I wouldn't like it."

Sam sighed. "You are the worst. It looks great on you."

"I'm not getting it," Isis said, shaking her head.

"Fine, try on another one and I'll see if there's one we missed. What color is it supposed to be again?"

"Silver or black. Jill has a purse that matches his tie that I can borrow." Isis headed back into the dressing room while Sam browsed.

Isis wanted to believe Sam, but at the same time she wasn't sure how she felt. She did like Michael and they got along well. Their marriage wouldn't be horrible, it would probably be pretty easy. But did she want easy?

"I think this is it," Sam called. She raced to the dressing room and handed the dress over the door.

Isis held it up in front of her. It is pretty. Isis slid into the dress easily. She turned in front of the mirror, smoothing down the front. The dress hit at her knee and was form fitting. It was a sparkly black with a sweetheart neckline. It accentuated her body yet, was still comfortable.

Isis walked out of the dressing room. "So, what do you think?"

Sam gasped and clapped her hands together quickly. "I love it! You look amazing. Now all we need are shoes and a necklace. I say a pearl necklace and shoes that match his tie."

Isis beamed. "Okay, give me a minute."

Isis slipped out of her dress and placed it back on its hanger. They walked to the jewelry department and found the perfect necklace. Next they went to the shoes and found opened toed slingbacks the exact shade of red needed.

"This was a good haul. Thanks Sam." Isis and Sam hugged.

"Of course. And you'll know how he feels after tonight. You are stunning." Sam kissed her cheek and squeezed her hand. "I love you."

Isis' eyes began to water. "I love you too."
______________________

Isis felt nauseous. It's okay, just breathe. Relax Isis. She took a deep breath and tried to settle herself.

There was a knock at the door and Isis jumped. She was at Jill's house while they got ready and Jill was helping with her makeup. Isis opened the door and Jill came in. She was wearing a long navy blue ballgown. Her dark hair was down around her shoulders.

"This lipstick will match perfectly." Jill had made it her mission to help Isis look perfect.

Isis put on the lipstick and looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was pulled back into a low bun which helped highlight the dress. Everything was on point, if only her stomach would stop fluttering.

Jill sat down on her bed and patted next to her for Isis to sit. She began putting on Isis' necklace. "Grant will be here with the limo shortly. Once we get to the ballroom, we'll be announced as we enter and be seated for dinner."