Chapter 1: Summer Solstice

"We gather here to bind these two people." The high priestess turned to Hathor. "Repeat after me. From the moon to the stars, I will stand beside you."

"From the moon to the stars, I will stand beside you," Hathor repeated.

"I will love you as Demeter loves Persephone." The high priestess nodded.

"I will love you as Demeter loves Persephone." Hathor smiled at Jamie.

Isis shifted in her high heels. She was standing next to Hathor, her sister, as her Maid of Honor and she could feel her eyes filling with tears. I almost made it. Don't cry in front of everyone.

The high priestess continued. "And as the goddesses of old command, I will protect you as you protect me. "

"And as the goddesses of old command, I will protect you as you protect me." Hathor's eyes shined with happiness.

"My turn," Jamie said. A chuckle went through the crowd.

Jamie repeated the same words as Hathor, punctuating each line with a touch on Hathor's arm. When Jamie finished, the coven waited with anticipation for the end. They'd all been waiting a long time for this wedding.

The high priestess continued. "With blessings from Oshun and Hecate, you are now joined. In this life and the next. You may kiss."

Hathor and Jamie smiled. Hathor grabbed Jamie's face and pulled her in for a kiss. Both covens cheered and most everyone in the crowd were crying.

Hathor and Jamie broke apart and held hands. They jumped over the broom in front of them and walked down the aisle towards the schools cafeteria.

Isis wiped her eyes and smiled. Her sister looked so beautiful and happy. Isis prayed to Oba that Hathor and Jamie's marriage would last until time stopped, they both deserved that much.

Isis grabbed the arm of Jamie's sister Diana and led the rest of the wedding party to the reception. Inside the schools cafeteria had been transformed. The walls had changed into cream and silver. Wide ribbons of black and cream draped from the ceiling. Matching flower arrangements sat on a dozen tables in front of the stage where the wedding party was supposed to sit. The lighting looked like soft sunshine even though they were inside.

Isis grinned when she heard the gasps from the people entering. She had worked hard to make the cafeteria beautiful and she had succeeded. The best thing was that when the night was over, she just had to wave her hand and everything would go back to normal.

Hathor and Jamie were already seated at the wedding table on the stage. They were giggling and they couldn't stop staring at each other. The rest of the wedding party was taking their seats, but Isis had to make sure that everything would continue to run smoothly. She was also trying to avoid her mother.

Isis walked towards the kitchen and called to the chef Lucky. "Hey. How's the food lookin'? We're about ready to eat."

"Sure thing Isis," Lucky said, wiping his hands off on the towel around his waist. "Let me get my boys lined up then we'll be ready."

"Thanks Lucky." Isis waved and walked towards the stage. She smiled at her sister as she walked towards the microphone beside the wedding table.

"Hello everybody," Isis announced. "I want to thank everybody for coming today. The food will be served momentarily. Drinks are available at the bar. The drinks are on you though so don't go crazy." Isis winked at the crowd and turned off the mike.

Isis walked towards her sister and put her hand on her shoulder. "I'm going to run to the bathroom. I'll meet you back up here okay?"

"Sure thing sis," Hathor said, placing her hand on Isis'.

Isis made her way to the bathroom, hoping no one would be there to bother her. She didn't mind coordinating events for the school, but this was a whole nother matter. The pressure was giving her a headache.

After she finished her business, she washed her hands and looked at herself in the mirror. The black dress she wore was light and comfortable. The bodice was tight against her chest, but the skirt was full and fell to her knees. Of course it was thigh length on the other girls, but thats what happened when you were short. She swished the skirt from side to side, admiring it. Her shoes were a rich, matte purple, one of her favorite colors, with 4 inch heels and a peep toe. She had searched for months before finding these and she was not disappointed.

She looked at her hair and sighed. Her hair was shoulder length, brown, and curly and it never wanted to cooperate. She wet her hands and wrapped her curls around her fingers. That would at least get her through the reception. Her makeup, the same purple as her shoes, still looked flawless thanks to Diana. The purple made her brown eyes pop and she wore contacts so they could be seen. She didn't need foundation or lipstick thanks to smooth skin and full lips. One of the few good things her mother gave her.

Time to start the festivities.

Isis headed towards the food line and was thanking Fortuna for a short line when she heard her mother calling her.

"Isis. Over here."

Isis plastered a smile on her face and turned towards her mother. Her mother was seated with Jamie's mother and father near the stage.

When people were being kind, they would say that Isis and her mother looked like twins. The truth was they did look alike, but her mother had aged into an incredible beauty that made people look twice. Where Isis' skin was a golden brown and freckled, her mothers skinned glowed bronze and was flawless. Where Isis' hair was a mass of unruly curls, her mothers hair was styled with long silver dreads laced with beautiful hand made beads. Isis didn't envy her mother, she only wished that she wasn't looked down upon because of her differences.

"Yes mama," Isis said.

"Come sit with us love. We were discussing your impending nuptials." Her mother patted the seat next to her and Isis obliged.

Jamie's mother, Kate Roberts, smiled at Isis. "Marie told us that you are going to be meeting with some potential partners soon."

Isis silently cursed her mother. "Yes I am. I have a series of meetings set up next week."

Marie clucked her tongue. "Shouldn't we call them dates dear? One of them may be your future partner."

"Yes mama," Isis said, lowering her head.

"Who are you meeting with first," Kate asked.

Isis looked at Kate. "The son of the Clarkville coven. Then someone from a coven in Kansas." Isis scrunched her nose. She did not want to move to Kansas.

"Kansas isn't that bad." Kate laughed. "I'm sure you'll find someone closer."

"Thanks," Isis said. She liked Kate, she could see where Jamie's joyous personality came from.

Marie sniffed. "We'll have to see who has the best to offer, then we'll make our decision. Right?"

Isis nodded. She looked around hoping to find an out. She saw Hathor by the bar, beckoning her.

"I have to go mom. Hathor is waving to me," Isis said to her mother. She turned towards the Roberts. "It was nice seeing you again."

"You too hon." Kate smiled.

Isis rose and hurried towards the bar. Bacchus and Ninkasi do I need a drink.

(Authors Note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote or comment if you would like. I appreciate all feedback. I will upload new chapters once a week)