Chapter Eleven: Red Rivers

When I woke up from the memory flash; I was laying on my couch inside my apartment.

‘’Was that all just a really bad dream?’’ I whispered to myself.

There was only one way to know for certain…I looked down at my hands to see if they were damaged. I lifted my hands above my body and inspected them. Nothing…apart from the odd spot of BBQ sauce. Which I have no idea got there.

 So, it was all just a terrible nightmare. Thank God…it felt I was going to die if it had continued or were real. I collapsed my hands onto my face and dragged them down my face. I let out a sigh which transformed into a smile. I shot up from my bed and skipped happily to my bathroom to splash some water on my face. The refreshing feeling of water gracing my face is what I needed the most at the moment. I rested my hands on the edges of the basin, just staring into the drain. Suddenly, red dots dripped into the sink. I blinked a few times thinking I was still tired but when I opened my eyes again there was a puddle of blood in sink. I moved my hands and saw blood hand print on the edges of the basin. I quickly looked at the mirror and saw blood oozing down my face.

‘’HOLY SHIT!’’ I panicked. I ran to the bathtub, frantically tried to turn the shower on and wash the blood away.

‘’It wasn’t a dream…it all happened. Everything from almost falling off my balcony, falling over in the corridor, the crowd of people staring, getting hit by a bike and escaping an ambulance.’’. I sat down in the bathtub and just rested my head on the bloody tiles.

‘’RUN FATBOY RUN!’’ Captain Torture screamed at me.

‘’You know I can’t run just yet…my pelvis is still healing.’’ I whined.

‘’Oh, I’m sorry. Would you like to take it a bit slower?’’

‘’Yes please!’’ I lit up with happiness.

‘’WELL I’M SORRY! I DON’T THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN!’’ he roared.

It’s been a month since the accident. Progress with my legs and arms has gone smoothly and surprisingly fast. I have regained just about full control of my arms with some limits like how much weight I can withstand but it’s a vast improvement. As for my legs, I can walk slowly but running is out of the question. However, Captain Torture here thinks that I should start forcing my legs to run because if I don’t start now then I will never run again.

‘’WELL! WHAT YOU WAITING FOR? START RUNNING ON THE TREADMILL!’’

He set on a low setting, it was slow walking speed. Easy. After only a minute, he boosted it up to jogging speed. A bit of a struggle. Two minutes later, cranked it up to running speed. I only lasted five seconds before slipping off and smashing my face into the treadmill. He burst out into laughter and then demands me to get up and do it again. He usually bribed me with food, saying I won’t get dinner if I don’t run. We’re not talking about hospital food…we’re talking about REAL food. Though, today is the last day of Captain Torture’s butchering therapy; because after three o’clock I will be a free man. Yes, that’s right; I will finally be released from hospital after a month of being stuck here.

Three o’clock arrives…

‘’Well, Lucas. I wish you all the best of luck with the future!’’ My doctor extended his hand. I shook it and pick up my suitcase. It was kind of a struggle lifting it but if there was anything I learnt from Captain Torture besides the obvious learning to walk and move my arms again, it was that continual training helps you become stronger.