Chapter Four: Nine to Five

Once I got off the train, I began my small journey from the train station to work. Pondering on the thought of:

 I wonder what old people do every day?

I would imagine that most old people are bolted tightly behind locked doors in some retirement home located far away from any troublesome neighbourhoods or just outside the main city area. The nurses would make sure that the key is somewhere that no elderly would bother to look (due to the inevitable back pains or any other bothersome pains that come with the age). As a result of this isolation from the outside world; they become familiar with such boring sports such as shuffle board, lawn bowls and bingo.

‘’Computers...well what is a computer?’’ Is what most elderly would ask. Even if one were to introduce them to this new-fangled device, they would probably have an epileptic fit because of the overwhelming amount of technology bundled into one. It would cause their poor brains to think too much ‘’How could anyone possibly have created/thought of such thing?'' and they would explode into a violent fit...which doesn't have a happy end for most.

Alright…so I over-exaggerated a bit there. OKAY! A lot, but the point still remains they wouldn’t know what a computer is.

So, the nursing home workers simply restrict old people to simple non-harmful activities such as shuffle board, lawn bowls and the age old favourite, bingo.

The old people's definition of the words 'fun' and 'party' go something like this: an annual gathering in the retirement home’s main entertainment room...

Or

as the nurses like to define it as: A way to distract them from thinking of their dark neighbour lurking in the shadows [death].

These so called 'entertainment rooms' contain two things...

One: A large group of aging old people

And

Two: A small TV which could well be as old as the people watching it.

Yeah...I am pretty sure, I just summed up a day in the life of an old person.

Introducing, the ONLY old person in the existence of old people to NOT do that...Larry, my store manager.

Boy oh boy...does this man annoy me.

It was apparent from the beginning that he never liked me.

I remember quite vividly the moment we met. It went like this:

Erika (the old store manager) introduced us.

''As you know, Lucas, I am taking a trip around the world for a couple months. So...introducing the new store manager! Larry!''. She turns my attention to an old man who I thought was her grandpa. She was always the peppy type of girl so she used that ‘’yay!’’ voice and made quite a big deal over it.

''How you going, mate?'' He says almost sounding Australian.  My first impression of him was that he was a typical friendly war story telling old man. That could definitely work for me because maybe he will be too busy telling me stories about World War Two instead of making me work. Yes, this will be great!

''Yeah not bad, man!'' I smile. Erika claps her hands together looking as if she’d united two lovers.

''Well...I'm glad you two are bonding already. Oh gosh, look at the time! I need to dash off to the airport. Catch you two later!’’. Erika quickly runs out the store, after we shouted out our goodbyes. Larry turns to me, staring at me in an obvious stone-cold matter and says in a deep voice: