Chapter 18

Happy New Year!

The Doctor was right in assuming they would need a night's sleep before travelling out to defeat the Queen.  Mind control, whether hypnotism, memory manipulation or suppression of the brain, tires out the mind.  

He couldn't be too upset about it though, because Rose was laying with him in his arms, in what he assumed was now their bed.  In spite of himself, he sent the TARDIS a little wave of gratitude that she definitely deserved.  He snuggled down under the covers and pulled Rose closer to him, not wanting to let her go for anything. 

"Cold?" she mumbled into his chest.

"What's that?" He asked, trying to look down at her. 

She removed her face from his shirt.  "Are you cold?"

"No, why?"

In response, she grinned and cuddled back against him.  "Never mind," she said softly.  

They were awakened the next morning by knocking on the TARDIS door.  Rose tensed, not knowing who it was or why it was so loud, as if it were on their bedroom door.  She shook the Doctor lightly.  "Doctor," she whispered, "We've company."

"We are the only sentient beings on this ship," he replied groggily.  

She was about to retort that no, they most certainly were not, because there was someone outside, when there was another knock at the door.  The Doctor stroked his hand up her back and hummed.  "You're right, we've company.  Come on, let's answer it." 

He rolled out of bed and she followed, grabbing a dressing gown to pull around herself as they padded down the hallway and to the door.  Their visitor was still knocking, and was rather surprised when the Doctor flung the door open.

"Hello!" he said cheerfully, and one of the Queen's servants, Isi, stood before them.  She looked frightened, her hand raised to knock again.

"This is your magic box," she said.

Rose furrowed her brows.  "Yeah, that's us, how'd you find it?  How'd you know we were inside?"

"You were gone.  I guessed."

"Alright then," The Doctor put his hands in his dressing gown pockets, "If you wanted to find us, what's it for?  Going to drag us back to the palace?"

Isi shook her head violently, "No!  Of course not."

"How can you say 'of course not'?" Rose crossed her arms, "You were the one holding me still while that Queen of yours messed us up!"

The girl shifted, looking very uncomfortable and staring at her shaking hand.  "Have you ever considered, ma'am, that the Queen was tricking us as well?"

All three of them stood, staring at each other.  They'd all been manipulated to bend to the Queen's rule, and that was a tyrant if Rose had ever seen one.  She watched the other girl carefully.  "I'm sorry," she said sincerely, "But we're going to get rid of her."

"And you can help, now," the Doctor added, "We'll need all the help we can get on this.  But it could be dangerous.  Are you in?" 

Isi nodded, a powerful glint shining in her eyes that Rose was sure she'd never seen there before.  That was it, then.  Surbia had been controlling her girls as well, and Isi, somehow, had broken free of it.  One more to their team, and someone with inside knowledge, at that.  It was almost dead lucky that Isi had found them, but Rose had stopped believing in luck ages ago.

"Let us get changed," Rose said, "And we'll meet you right out here."

"Yes, ma'am," Isi replied.