Chapter 11

Over the next few days, Rose found herself inexplicably drawn to the Doctor.  She told herself that it was because they worked together.  They must've known each other a long time, because they did their jobs flawlessly, doing what they needed to in a timely fashion. 

Horus Ba had his eyes on Rose, and she knew it.  She was also rather uncomfortable with it.  And she knew the Doctor was as well.  She avoided him when she could, even though she had to serve him quite a bit.  She never looked him in the eye, she never invited him any closer than he was.  She didn't want him. 

"I don't like how he looks at you," the Doctor said curtly one day as they were fixing the evening meal on the large table.  

"Hush!" Rose slammed the gold plates down on the table, and she flinched, as though she expected them to break, though she couldn't imagine why she thought that would happen.  "He could be near, you don't know."

"I don't care," the Doctor replied fiercely, setting about arranging some of the food on the table.  "You can't... He wants you to..."

"I'll avoid it for as long as I can," she said softly, not making eye contact with him.  "That's not the way I want...  Anything like that." 

She heard the Doctor rustle about next to her, and he tipped her chin so she was forced to look him in the face.  His thumb stroked along her jawbone.  "You deserve better," he said firmly.  "I promise you."

"I'm a servant."

"That doesn't mean you don't deserve to be happy."

"I really am very simple, though."

"You're beautiful."

She blushed, though she couldn't suppress her smile as she turned away from him.  "For a foreigner, you mean."

"No," the Doctor replied.  "You're beautiful.  Full stop."

"Thank you."

He stroked a hand gently along her hair before going back to his work.  She didn't know why she felt tingling every time he touched her, even if it was just to press his hand against the small of her back to get her moving.  She found that she wanted him to touch her, but knew she had no right to think such things.  Why she wasn't supposed to think those thoughts, she couldn't remember.  

She felt his eyes on her as she continued to set out plates as he arranged the food.  At that very moment, the Pharaoh himself walked in.

"Rose," he greeted her. 

"My King," she said, keeping her head bowed.

"How are you this day?" He asked, and she could now feel both him and the Doctor staring at her.  Needless to say, it was making her a bit uncomfortable, but there wasn't really a lot to be done for that, was it?  

"I am fine this day," she replied, not understanding why the words felt so odd on her tongue.  She wanted to give him a piece of her mind, but parts of her was holding back, though she was struggling to abide by those parts.  

"Dinner is prepared?" 

"Yes, we are setting it up now," she responded patiently, fighting the urge to roll her eyes, because of course they were setting up dinner, didn't he see it happening right in front of him?  

"I shall fetch the Queen.  You are dismissed.  Khat and Isi will tend to dinner."

"Yes, my King," both Rose and the Doctor replied at once before standing and exiting the room.  She felt the now-familiar pressure of his hand against the small of her back, almost a possessive gesture.  She could only think of how bold that was, that he was almost claiming her through this touch.  How daring of him, especially doing so in front of the Pharaoh of Egypt.