Chapter 9

Rose knew, because of her basic knowledge of the ancient Egyptians, that the sarcophagus was several layers.  But when all of the layers split open at once, Rose could only blink and gape at the scene before her.

"Doctor?" She called out tentatively, "What's going on?"

"I don't know, Rose," he replied, and Rose could tell that he was trying to keep calm, in turn, keeping her calm.  "Queen Surbia, release this curse on me!"

"Oh, but then you'll run," Surbia pouted.  "I need to keep you incapacitated, Doctor.  No moving for you."  She waved a dismissive hand at him.  "You'll be just fine."

The Doctor grunted in annoyance and Rose could tell that he was trying to move, fighting against whatever was binding him.  She couldn't focus on him for long, however, because a man was getting out of the sarcophagus.  

He was still wrapped, but the bonds had significantly loosened over time.  His movements were slow and jerky, trying to unwrap himself.  Surbia rushed to aid him in removing the linens, leaving a strong, oddly young-looking man, decked in jewels and a fine white linen loin cloth.  His hair was long, as though it had kept growing while he was in his tomb.

"My King," Surbia dipped into a low, odd curtsy that didn't seem to fit the time period.  

"Sorceress," the King replied politely, his tone airy, "Who are our guests?"

"This is the Doctor, my assistant," she threw the Doctor a look that was anything but business-like, or even platonic for that matter.  Rose tried to lunge forward at that, and the three servants had to hold her back to keep her from launching herself at Surbia.

"Oh," the King's voice sounded almost like a purr as his gaze drifted to Rose.  "And who is this golden-haired one?  She's a bit... Much, isn't she?"

"That's your new consort, Pharaoh Horus Ba," Surbia said smoothly.  "Her name is Rose."

"I'm not anybody's bloody consort!" Rose shouted, fighting the grasps of the servants, who seemed to be inhumanly strong.  

The Pharaoh approached her and curled a finger around a loose bit of her hair.  "Oh, she has fire in her blood, this one."

The Doctor cleared his throat.  "Rose, if you have any Bad Wolf left in you, can you direct some of the Vortex at me so I can-"

"Hush," the Pharaoh said quietly, running his fingers down Rose's cheek.  She jerked her head away in response, not wanting this man to touch her.  

The Doctor growled, and Rose found herself wanting to get to him more than ever.  She squirmed and tried to get to him.  "Doctor!"

"Rose, I'm going to get out of this," he said firmly.

Horus Ba removed his hand from her, but, quick as a whip, moved in to kiss her firmly on the mouth.  She wrenched her head back, almost knocking her head into one of the servants.  "I did not give you permission to touch me," she said.

"Face me!" The Doctor shouted, his voice laced with anger.  "Or I swear I'll make you regret ever coming back to this planet!"

Horus Ba chuckled lowly and walked in front of the Doctor.  "And you are the Sorceress's assistant?"

"No," the Doctor replied firmly.  "I never agreed to that, and Rose never agreed to be your consort."

"Must one agree to be the consort of a King?  It is simply a privilege."  The King sounded so arrogant that Rose found she could barely stand him.  She wanted nothing more than to break away and run into the Doctor's arms just before dragging him back to the TARDIS and having her own wicked way with him so the Queen- or Sorceress - couldn't.

Her fists clenched and un-clenched as she tried to control herself.  This was not what she had expected when the Doctor said they'd be investigating a forgotten Queen.  To be quite honest, she'd been expecting aliens.  Now, she wished they were aliens.  

"Doctor," Rose called out, her voice strangled with trying to keep herself in check.  

"Rose," he said her name on more of a whisper, his eyes focused on Horus Ba.  "You will not lay a hand on Rose Tyler, do you understand me?  She is not to be touched against her will."

Horus Ba's lip twitched.  "I will not do anything to her that she is not begging for."

Something within the Doctor snapped.  He felt energy course through him, the anger at someone touching Rose (or anyone who wasn't him, at least) driving him.  He broke whatever Surbia held over him and lunged at the King, who easily side-stepped him, sending the Doctor stumbling a few steps.  he whirled around, his chest heaving and eyes blazing.  

Rose's jaw nearly hit the ground at the look on his face, at him protecting her honor, at the lengths he was going to.  How he broke such a curse, Rose didn't think she would ever know, though she might ask him later.  His eyes fixed on Rose over Horus Ba's shoulder.  "Rose."

"Yes, hello," Rose grinned at him, "Could we speed up the rescue a bit?" 

He blinked, as though he hadn't realize he'd been staring at her like he had been.  "Oh, right."  He brushed past Horus Ba and walked to Rose.  "Yes, hello," he reached for one of the servant's hands to get her off of Rose.

"Not so fast," Surbia stepped forwards from where she'd been keeping quiet, her hands laced in front of her.  "You will be my consort, Doctor, and Rose belongs to the King now.  We will all live in the Palace and no one will be the wiser."

The Doctor narrowed his eyes at her.  "Now, what's that supposed to mean?" He asked, his tone demanding.  

"It means that maybe the best thing to do, would be for the both of you to... Forget."  Surbia smiled and pulled out a handful of dust from her pouch.  "Gydytojas ir Rose bus pamiršti visi jie matė, visi jie turėjo žinoti, ir jie buvo čia pasilikti ... Be jų tinkamą vietose," She murmured into the dust.  The servants ran away as quick as they could, leaving Rose in too much shock to actually run.  Before they could even move, Surbia was throwing half of the dust over the Doctor and the other half over Rose.  Both of them tumbled to the floor, at the angle ending up with Rose sprawled over the Doctor's chest.  

"How sweet," Horus Ba said dryly.  "They are so in love.  Quite a shame they won't remember."

Surbia chuckled.  "Oh, they will be quite useful to us, once the Doctor gets that lovesick look out of his face," she rolled her eyes.  "Idiots, the pair of them."

"And what do you suggest we use them for?"

"Oh, was it not obvious?" Surbia asked innocently.  "They are to be our slaves."  Her hand slipped into the King's.  He smiled down at her.  

"A fine plan, Surbia, my love."

She returned his smile.  "And if I plan to take the Doctor to bed, or you were to take Rose, who would be the wiser?"

The two of them gestured for the servants to remove the Doctor and Rose from the floor, and they were taken back to the palace, knowing nothing of the fate that laid before them.