Mal and Ben's Date

Mal and Ben are riding on Ben's scooter along a road in a forest en route to their destination: the Enchanted Lake.

"Tell me something about yourself." Ben said to Mal as they crossed a rope bridge. "Something you've never told anyone."

"Well, um, my middle name is Bertha." Mal said.

"Bertha?" Ben repeated.

"Yeah." Mal replied,

"Bertha." Ben said again.

"Just my mom doing what she does best." Mal said. "Being really, really evil." She laughed. "Mal Bertha. How about you, Ben?"

"Mine's Florian." Ben said as they paused on the bridge, enjoying the view.

"Florian?" Mal repeated.

"Yeah," Ben laughed.

"How princely." Mal said. "Oh, that's almost worse."

"I mean, you know, it's better than Bertha." Ben argued. "But it's still not ‐ oh, watch your step. There you go. Close your eyes. Now, step up. There you go."

For moment, Mal was leaning on Ben's chest, eyes closed. "You ready?" The prince asked.

The fairy nodded.

"Open your eyes."

Mal complied and her eyes widened. A beautiful crumbling stone gazebo was set up with a picnic at the edge of the river.

"Go one," Ben encouraged. Mal walked forward and he followed.

"Is this your first time?" Ben asked, a few minutes into the date.

"Hmm..." Mal said, "We don't really...date much, on the island, it's more like...gang activity."

"Really?" Ben laughed but said, "Um, I meant, is this your first time eating a jelly doughnut?"

Mal stopped as she licked her finger, "Is it bad?"

"You got...just a..." Ben reached out and slowly rubbed the powder off of Mal's lips. "Gone."

"Yeah, you can't take me anywhere, I guess." Mal joked.

"You know, I'm done doing all the talking." Ben said. "Your turn. I really don't know that much about you. Tell me something."

Mal thought for a moment. "Well, I'm 16. I'm an only child. And I've only ever lived in one place."

"Me too." Ben said. "Wow, we've got a lot in common."

"No," Mal laughed. "Trust me. We do not.... and now, you're gonna be king."

"Yeah," Ben said softly, looking down.

"What is it?" Mal asked.

"The crown doesn't make you a king." Ben said.

"Well, it...kinda does." Mal said.

"No, it..." Ben stopped, looking for the right words. "Your mother is.... Mistress of Evil. And I've got the poster parents of goodness. But we're not automatically like them. We get to chose who we're gonna be. And right now... I can look into your eyes, and I can tell you're not evil. I can see it." He smiled at her before changing the subject. "Let's go for a swim."

"Huh? What? Uh...right now?" Mal said, almost in a panic.

"Yup. Why not?"

Mal laughed nervously. "I think I'm just gonna stay here."

"No no no no." Ben offered her his hand.

Mal shook her head. "I think I'm gonna stay behind and try a strawberry. I've literally never tried a strawberry before..." she bit into it. "Mm!" She smiled up at Ben. Then her expression became one of wonder. "Mmm..." she looked back at the strawberry.

Ben laughed. "Don't eat all of them."

"Okay." Mal said as Ben walked away.

She picked up another strawberry and bit into it. It was another moment before Ben climbed out from behind the rocks, shirtless and in a pair of swim trunks.

Mal stood up and walked to the edge of the gazebo. "Are those little crowns on your shorts?" She wondered loudly.

"Maybe!" Ben replied, somewhat embarrassed.

Mal waved at him, he waved back and then he mimicked a beast roaring before he jumped off the ledge. Mal laughed as she watched.

"A million thoughts in my head,

Should I let my heart keep listenin'?" Mal wondered as she watched Ben swimming.

"'Cause up till now, I've walked the line,

Nothin' lost, but somethin' missin'.

I can't decided what's wrong, what's right,

which way should I go?

If only I knew what my heart was telling me,

Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Uh-oh. Yeah.

If only I could read the signs in front of me,

I could find a way to know who I'm meant to be, uh-oh

If only, yeah

Am I crazy, maybe, we could happen. Yeah.

Will you still be with me when the magic's all run out?

If only I knew what my heart was telling me,

Don't know what I'm feelin', is this just a dream? Uh-oh oh-whoa

If only...if only."

She sat down at the edge of the gazebo next to the water. She looked around. "Ben?" She asked, not seeing him anywhere. "Ben?" She jumped up and shouted, "Ben!"

All that replied was Mal's own echo. She jumped in and waded through the water, swimming when it got too deep, but failing ‐ she didn't swim well. Before she fell, though, Ben appeared and scooped her up in his arms, carrying her back to shore.

"Ugh! You scared me!" Mal exclaimed, hitting his shoulder and upset.

"You‐you can't swim?" Ben said.

"No!" Mal said like it was obvious.

"You live on an island!"

"Yeah, with a barrier around it, remember?" Mal said.

"And you still tried to save me." Ben said.

"Yeah." Mal said. "And do you thank me? No! All I get is soaking wet!"

"And, uh, this fancy rock." Ben said, holding up a shiny, glowing white rock. "It's yours." He handed it to her. "Make a wish and throw it back."

Mal just threw it back with an exclamation of disgust, seemingly making no wish. She got up and walked away.

Ben quickly got out of the water and grabbed his jacket, putting it around her shoulders. "What?" She said as he did, but all she did was blow her hair out of her face.

She sat down at the picnic again. After drying himself off with a towel, Ben sat next to her. Mal shivered.

Ben reached out and almost absently began to mess with a lock of Mal's purple hair between his fingers. Mal looked at him with a puzzled expression on her face but didn't protest.

Ben looked down, seeming shy, "Uh, Mal...I told you that I loved you. What about you? Do you love me?"

Mal slowly looked away. Ben frowned and looked disappointed. Mal said, "I...I don't know what love feels like."

Ben turned Mal's head so she could look at him. "Maybe I can teach you."

Author's Note: Happy New Year 2016, everybody! :)