And So It Begins / Ben's First Proclamation

Author's Note: I only own my OC Ashley Radcliffe. The rest of Descendants are owned by Disney.

Mal's P.O.V.

Once upon a time, long long ago, well, more like 20 years ago, Belle married her Beast (Adam) in front of 6,000 of their closest personal friends. Big cake. Yeah, so instead of a honeymoon, Adam united all of the kingdoms and got himself elected king of the United States of Auradon. He rounded up all the villains and sidekicks - basically all the really interesting people - and he booted them off to the Isle of the Lost with a magical barrier to keep them there. This is my hood. No magic. No Wi-Fi. No way out. Or so I thought. Hang on. You're about to meet us. But first, this happened.

General P.O.V.

Ben, Prince of Auradon, stared out the window, across the water, towards the Isle of the Lost. He stared, almost oblivious to the tailor fitting his suit, until the tailor tapped his head and measured it. At the same time, his friend, Ashley Radcliffe, was sitting beside him, cuddling her pet dalmatian puppy, Rosalina.

"Sleeve.... head.... ah-ha." The tailor mumbled to himself.

The door opened and Ben's parents, King Adam and Queen Belle, walked in.

"How is it possible that you're going to be crowned king next month?" King Adam said. "You're just a baby!"

"He's turning sixteen, dear." Belle said, smiling.

"Hey, Pops." Ben said, but he was cut of as King Adam said, "16? That's far too young to be crowned king. I didn't make a good decision until I was at least 42."

Queen Belle scoffed. "Uh, you decided to marry me at 28."

Ashley, standing up, also scoffed. "And you let me live here at 34."

"Well, Ashley, I knew that you needed some company while your parents are away on their business trip. As for you, Belle, it was either you or the teapot." King Adam smiled at Belle and winked at Ben and Ashley.

Then he chuckled, "Kidding."

"Mom, Dad," Ben said slowly, "I have chosen my first official proclamation."

King Adam and Queen Belle looked at each other excitedly.

Ben took a deep breath before continuing, "My friend, Ash, and I have decided, that the children of the Isle of Lost should be given a chance to live here in Auradon."

King Adam and Queen Belle looked shocked. Queen Belle made a small gasp as she dropped the coat she was holding.

Ben continued, pointing out the window, to the island, "Every time we look out the window, to the island, we feel like they've been abandoned!"

King Adams glanced at the island out the window and said, "The children of our sworn enemies, living among us?"

Ashley nodded. "We start out with a few at first, just the ones who really need our help." She looked at Queen Belle, who nodded encouragingly. Ben continued, "We've already chosen them."

King Adam asked, "Have you?" He looked skeptical. Ben and Ashley frowned.

Queen Belle put her hand on Adam's arm. "I gave you a second chance." She reminded him. King Adam's demeanor softened. Belle asked Ben and Ashley, "Who are their parents?"

Ben slowly recounted: "Cruella De Vil, Jafar, Evil Queen, and Maleficent."

Both the parents and the tailor looked shocked. "Maleficent?" Queen Belle gasped, while King Adam roared, "Maleficent! She is the worst villain in the land!" King Beast exclaimed.

"Your Highness, just hear us out here-" Ashley pleaded.

"I won't hear of it." King Adam commanded. The three servants and the tailor stepped out of the room, nervously closing the door. King Adam continued, "They are guilty of unspeakable crimes!"

"No, Dad, their children are innocent!" Ben protested. "Don't you think they deserve a shot at a normal life? Dad?"

Queen Belle looked at her husband with an imploring expression on her face.

King Adam looked between his wife, his son, and Ashley, then he sighed, "I suppose....their children are innocent."

Ben and Ashley smiled.

Queen Belle told her son and Ashley, "Well done," as she left with King Adam.

As his parents left, Ben and Ashley stared out the window, at the tiny island with the golden magic barrier surrounding it, then Ben looked down at the beast-head ring on his finger. Ashley hoped he'd made the right choice but she knew that all the other Auradonians won't accept children of villains living among them.