Chapter 8: Sacrifice

Emma's POV

I was too in shock to even move. There are hundreds of bandits and criminals in this land and the one that I happen to come across is related to my past. The thought suddenly crossed my mind, was Killian with them or nearby because if he was I honestly think I would forget Charles and go with him again because all this time I have never felt that Charles was meant to be but I needed to be strong.

"Emma?" Smee questions in as much shock as me. I get off him and help him to stand because I know he wouldn't hurt me, "What are you doing trying to steal?" I ask him as I brush the dirt and mud off of my dress. He shuffles in the spot for awhile until replying.

"Its the Captain. He's gone dark again, not even bothering to seek revenge from the Dark One anymore. He wanted the whole crew to split up and steal whilst he does some plan in private apparently." he explains and I try to imagine the ruthless and cold blooded pirate I knew for a short time before he became a changed man for me. Even the six months or so in which I knew him as a horrible man people would say he was already softer so what was he like when he was really a villain?

I don't answer him straight away and instead just walk over to a fallen tree nearby and sit down with Smee beside me. "I am sorry Emma but you're the only person who the crew and I think could make him a better man again. He did love you." he says and I freeze. "He never loved me." I spit in anger and he looks at me with his eyes full of worry and sorrow.

"Were the other two masked men also from the crew?" I ask, feeling guilty because they were like my family during the time I was on the ship and I hurt them. Smee nods but smiles after, "They'll be fine." he assures and I nod before sitting in silence again. I'm too in shock to speak. They say that the unfinished past comes back to haunt us but I never thought it actually would.

Smee puts his hand on mind and I look at him, "Emma I have known you for a long time and I feel like I have to protect you as a sister figure and I know you want to fix this." he tells me and deep inside I know its true. I miss Killian with all my heart and I want to help Smee and the crew.

"Alright, fine. We will take the two horses and ride to the Dark One's castle so he can give you something to make Killi- I mean, Hook, a better man again but after that I am leaving." I offer and Smee quickly nods before we both stand up. Quickly I walk over to the castle guards who are still awake and explain this is something I must do. They agreed because I said it was a family crisis and they took Charles away back to the castle with the last horse.

I turn to Smee who is grabbing some bags for the journey and we both get on a horse and ride of to the North where Rumplestilskin lives.

A few hours later and it was fully dark, the stars and moon being our only light source. We had just arrived at the castle so we got off the horses and entered the huge and eery place.

"Dark One?" I say loud enough to attract his attention. There is no sign of him.

"Sorry Smee, he must be somewhere els-" I say but couldn't finish my sentence because of the sound of things breaking and smashing. We exchange glances and quickly run to where the sound is coming from. We head down some creaking stairs and into a huge hall where something terrible is happening.

There he is, the man I have been trying to forget for a year about to be killed at the hands of his long lasting enemy until something inside me makes me help him.

"Killian!" I yell and just as Rumplestiltskin was about to take Killian's heart, I run in front of him so the Dark One's hand is in my chest. The pain is terrible and I feel like I am going to faint. I hear the muffled cries from Smee and Killian until I see my heart out of my chest and in Rumple's hands.

I hear Rumple laugh as he squeezes tighter on my heart and I feel the pain inside my chest getting more and more unbearable. My vision is becoming blurry until all I can see is Killian's faint and vivid face near mine as he picks me up and lays me on his lap. I feel myself getting weaker and weaker as the Dark One teases Killian by slowly killing me.

"This isn't the first women you love to die, is it Captain." I hear Rumple tease and I relise that must be why he wanted revenge, because he killed another person Killian loved. I look up at Killian and weakly smile at him as my heart gets slowly crushed like a game.

Killian's POV

Smee and I both sit down beside Emma as I lay her on my lap. That evil monster laughs as he teases me by squeezing her heart ever so slowly. Why was Emma here? I have not seen her for a whole year, I broke her heart and now I see her again and she sacrificed herself for me, "Oh, Emma." I say with tears in my eyes. She looks up at me and smiles before placing her small hand on my cheek.

"Why did you do this?" I ask, my voice breaking and she weakly shakes her head, "I love you Killian and I couldn't watch you die..." she winces when the squeezing of the heart gets more and more stronger until I see her beautiful eyes close and the remains of her heart get scattered around the floor. "No...no...no!" I shout and try to kill the evil demon but he just giggles and vanishes into nowhere. By now I am fully crying. I just lost another person I love and it was at the hands of the same monster. Emma saved me and now I have nobody.

I go over to Emma again and Smee is also crying. I know how much he cared about her. I lean down beside her hug her tightly, crying over and over again. Shes gone, my happy ending who I now relise was the person who I couldn't live without. She was gone and all be because of me.