Chapter Five - And That's What I Get For Hanging Out With A Vampire

Start from the beginning

He put a finger over his lips. "Shh. Don't say it too loud."

I picked up my half empty cup of coffee and threw it over Damon's head. That'll teach him not to mess with me. But my plan failed. He just ruffled his hair, then licked his wet fingers. "I've had worse," he smirked.

"Give me my car keys."

"No," he said. "I'm driving you home."

"Not like that you're not."

"Do I have to compel you?"

Damon began walking from the Grill, and I followed him reluctantly. Stupid vampires. He got into the driver's side of my car. I unwillingly sat down in the passenger's seat, and then he started the car.

On the way home, I could feel his eyes on me. I wanted to say something, but forced my lips to stay tightly pressed together. After a long moment of silence, Damon spoke.

"You're strangely calm with the fact that I'm a vampire," he observed. "Most girls would be running for their little lives the minute they layed eyes on my fangs. But you're different. I mean, at one point you looked like you were going to start hyperventilating, but you seem cool with it. Almost like it's what you were expecting."

I opened my mouth, allowing myself to talk. "Damon, you're a vampire. There's nothing I can do about it. If I try to run, you'll catch me. If I try to fight you, you'll win. If I try to kill you, the only person who'll end up dead is me. Why try any of that when I can just go along with it and hope that eventually you'll find another innocent girl to bother? I think you know what you're doing when it comes to all of this. You must be an expert at manipulation."

"The best manipulator in town. Is this your house here?"

I looked to where Damon was pointing. "Yeah."

He drove straight past it.

"Where are you going?" I panicked.

"We're detouring. You're becoming awfully sincere. It's annoying. If you get any more boring than you are now, I may need to bite you again."

"So where are we going?"

"I don't know. Wherever I feel like going. Just don't piss me off, or I'll take you to some vamp bar or something."

"Vamp bar?" I gulped. Damon turned to me and smiled.

"I'm just playing with you. Relax. I'lljust take you back to mine and hold you captive. I've always wanted to do that. I mean, I've thought about doing it, but it sounds like way too much effort. But, as you're here with me already, and there's no need to do the kidnapping part, why shouldn't I fulfil my extended life long dream?"

I just sat and didn't say anything at all.

The average girl would be screaming right now, preparing to throw themselves from the car while it was still moving. But I am certainly not the average girl. The average girl would be petrified when Damon Salvatore tried to attack her. I just let him get on with it. What's the point in protesting? He's going to do it anyway. If I let him do it without causing a fuss, then there's a 0.1% chance he'll leave me alive and not cause me such a large amount of pain.

But there's also that 99.9% chance that he'll make me suffer or drain my blood completely.

"Just be scared of me already!" Damon suddenly whined. I raised my eyebrows at him.

"I can't be scared of you when you're not scary."

"Why don't you find me scary? Come on. I like the terror in my victim's eyes. It brings joy into my fucked up life. Just be scared of me already. I'm being considerably nice to you. Please. Make me feel like a monster again."

"No."

He growled quietly, pulling into the driveway of the Salvatore boarding house. I got out of the car and followed him up to the entrance. Before we could knock, Stefan answered the door. Elena was close behind him.

"Damon," she scowled.

"Come on," Damon said in the same tone he had used to plead with me. "You can't hate me forever, Elena."

"Damon," Stefan warned. "Leave her alone."

Damon sighed and pushed past his brother, taking my hand and pulling me with him. He lead me into a large, cosy room. I sat down on the sofa, curling myself up into a ball. Damon sat in the chair opposite me.

"Why does Elena hate you?" I asked.

"Why do you hate Elena?" he replied.

I shook my head. "It's complicated. Seriously. Why do you hate Elena?"

"It's complicated," he mocked. "Do you want a drink?"

"Sure. What've you got?"

"Whiskey. Vodka. Beer. Wine. Blood."

"Ha ha," I said sarcastically. "I'm too young to drink."

"No, you're not. So, that'll be one whiskey?"

I nodded, and he handed me a crystal glass containing about an inch of thin, golden liquid. I pressed crystal against my lips and swallowed the liquid. It burned my throat, and my head began to tingle, but it felt good. I held out the glass and he poured me another. Within ten minutes we were both drunk.

"Oh my God, you're so awesome!" I shrieked, sprinting into Damon's arms. He staggered back, swigging the dregs from his bottle of Bourbon then throwing the empty bottle on the floor. The shards of glass scattered across the room. I laughed.

"I know," he slurred.

"Let's go upstairs!" Damon had pulled off his shirt and was draping it over the overly sized bookshelf. I was in nothing but my underwear and shorts. My hair had been tied back into a rather messy knot.

Damon pulled me onto his back and sprinted up the stairs. By the time we reached his bedroom everything around me was spinning. I flopped back onto the bed, breathing out noisily before Damon fell on top of me. He kissed my neck, licking the wounds from earlier. I pulled his head away from my jugular, sending his mouth in the direction of mine. We kissed for a while, oblivious to what was coming next.

He caressed my stomach lightly while his hot breath skimmed along my collar bone. I shivered with delight and urged him to continue.

And that's when a loud smash echoed throughout the house, and something pale made it's way across the wooden floor.

I sat up as Damon rolled away from me. He approached the thing with caution; one hand extended in front of him. As I  ran a hand through my hair, I heard him gasp.

"What is it?" I moaned. He didn't reply. "Damon?"

He continued to ignore me, so I got up off the bed and walked over to him. Then I had to swallow the acid rising in my throat.

Sprawled across the floor was my lifeless mother.