Chapter 6

Jay's POV

3 months later

I was about to meet up with Aaliyah. I came back to the home a few weeks ago and Kelly told me that Liyah moved out but she couldn't tell me where she went. She's been avoiding my calls for about a week and just now getting back to me and telling me that we can meet up, so I'm on my way to Moe's diner to see her.

When I walked in she was already seated. She was glowing and looked more beautiful than ever. Her face was a little chubbier now that she was 4 months pregnant, that made me smile. I was actually excited about becoming a father, the fear was still there but not as much. I started doing extra work in the street to be sure that I'll be able to provide for my child. I take my GED test in 6 months and I'm hoping that'll lead to me landing a legal gig.

I sat down and she looked up from her phone with an annoyed expression plastered across her face.

Jay: Sorry I'm late.

Aaliyah: Yeah, whatever. I've been waiting on you for 30 minutes.

Jay: I had to catch the bus, you know how that shit go. I don't have a car like you do so relax.

Aaliyah: It's not mine, it's Asia's.

Jay: Same difference.

Aaliyah: Anyways, why am I here?

Jay: What do you mean? My girlfriend who's pregnant with my child just up and left without telling me where she's going. I haven't seen you in weeks, I've missed doctors appointments, and you won't let me come see you.

Aaliyah: Jay...

Jay: Just tell me what's going on? Where have you been?

Aaliyah: My aunt decided to adopt me so I'm living there with her, her husband, and Asia.

Jay: Okay, I get that but why are you keeping things from me? We used to tell each other everything.

Aaliyah: You wouldn't understand?

Jay: Why wouldn't I? You're too good for me now? You don't want to be seen with me because what? Because I'm poor and you finally have a roof over your head and a family?

Aaliyah: You're making a big deal out of nothing. 

I looked at her like she was crazy and she continued.

Aaliyah: *sighs* I didn't want to tell you where I was because my uncle doesn't want you around me. He's always been protective over Asia and like a father figure and he's doing the same with me. It's already bad enough that I'm 16 and pregnant. I just need you to lay low for awhile.

Jay: So you're going to let him keep us from seeing each other? You're pregnant with my baby Aaliyah!

Aaliyah: Stop causing a fucking scene. What do you want me to do? They're giving me what I've always wanted and providing me with a safe place to raise my child. How can I pass that up?

Jay: So where does that leave us?

Aaliyah: I-

She started crying and I just knew.

Aaliyah: I don't think that it's best that we be together anymore. I mean, I'll bring our child to see you when it's born as often as I can because I want you to be in his or her life and I'll keep you updated on when my appointments are so you can come but I don't think we're going to work out.

Jay: You're giving up on us just like that? That's it. All of the promises we made to one another. We said that we would make it out of this together. We had everything planned out and you know I'd do anything for you and this is what it all comes down to?