Chapter 26: stress

Sparkle's POV

Penny is still quiet in the morning, but more active.

"Morning," she mumbles.

"Morning." I say stretching.

"Bacon and eggs?"

"Sure." I say going to take a shower.

Penny nods and takes a skillet out of the cabinet. I go to my bag and pull out a simple outfit.

I brush my teeth and wash my hair. I let the hot water and steam wake me up. I wrap myself in a towel and comb the tangles out of my hair.

As I'm getting dressed I get a text from Dan: Good morning beautiful.

I smile. Good morning handsome. R u ready for tonite?

Yes! Can't wait X

I sit down at the table and eat breakfast.

"Who's that?" Penny asks nodding towards my phone.

"Dan." I reply simply.

"Oh," she mutters.

We sit in a awkward silence until I break it. "Last night, when you went to sleep, I looked at some apartments. I found one that I like about 15 minutes from here. I'm going to check them out tomorrow."

"Saturday?"

I nod as I drink my orange juice. "Yeah, Saturday."

"How many bedrooms?"

"2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms." I smile.

"Nice." Penny smiles.

"Should we get going now?"
--

"Are you guys ready for you last concert of the week?"

"We still have next week though." Kyle says winking at me.

"You know what I mean." I say rolling my eyes playfully.

"Sparkle, they're on in 10." Matthew says.

"You guys are on in 10. Good luck and have fun." I smile.

They all smile and head towards the stage. Dan stays behind. He takes my hands and looks deeply into my eyes. "Sparkle you're a very special person. You're smart, sweet, kind, and... wow! You're just a strong, amazing person."

"Thanks." I say looking down.

He lifts my chin so I'm looking at him. "You're welcome." he kisses my forehead.

I'm speechless. The only thing I mutter is, "Dan, your cue."

"Right," he says smiling. He disappears on stage. The crowd's roar is deafening. I smile as they start the first song, Pompeii.
--

I sit in my office shopping on Amazon for Christmas presents. I don't know what to get anyone. I sigh and close the window. What to do, what to do. My phone rings, it's a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I ask cautiously.

"Hey sweetie." A sweet voice says.

"Mom?"

"Yes, dear?"

"No. I told you not to call me. I blocked your number."

"I know, but I wanted you to hear my voice as I apologize about the other day."

"I don't want to hear your apology, and I don't want to hear your voice either."

"Sparkle, don't say that. Come over tonight and let me explain everything. Let us explain."

"Us?" I whisper. "You mean that nasty son of a bitch Jonathan?"

"Don't call him that! He's your..." she trails off.

"My what? My dad, or my uncle?"

The line was quiet. "It's not like that." Mom says quietly.

"So what is it then? You've been having an affair with dad's twin brother for years! Probably ever since dad was still alive ten years ago!"

"Sparkle! You don't understand! Come over tonight and let us explain."

"I can't. Not tonight."

Mom sighs, "Well come whenever. We all need to sit and talk this."

"Okay, fine." I say.

"I love you, Sparkle."

"Bye mom." I say and hang up the phone.

I'm so mad, I just want to throw it at the wall. I can't do this. Not here. Not now.

All of a sudden the room feels stuffy and claustrophobic. I stumble out of my office and down the hallway. I open the front doors and stumble out into the crisp winter air. I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning and I can see different colors. All of a sudden the world goes black and I fall, but someone catches me before I hit the ground.
***
My vision swirls and my head spins. I close my eyes again. I'm laying on something comfy. A bed maybe. And someone is whispering soothing things in my ear. Dan!

I slowly open my eyes. I'm still in the concert hall, but in someone's room. Dan's room. I look to my right where the soothing words from. My heart stops and my breathing catches on my throat.