12 ∞ friends

Day Three ∞ Sunday morning

DANNY FOUND MICKMI STILL FAST ASLEEP in the living room the following morning. She hadn't moved an inch. Good. That meant at least she had a good night's rest. He stood a while in the doorway looking at her, contemplating what the next step should be when she woke up. Tomorrow he'd have to go to work so he'd better not let today go to waste. He turned and went thoughtfully to the kitchen.

A half-hour later, he went back upstairs to get a fresh change of clothes and take a shower. But just as he pushed the bathroom door shut behind him, the telephone rang. 

Damn. It's gonna wake her up! He dropped his clothes on the hamper and rushed to the couch on the landing to pick up the receiver. "Yeah," he practically hissed.

"Well, good morning to you too, Daniel Antonio McGahn!" Gina's voice sounded at the other end. "What's up with you? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"She's sleeping downstairs. Remember how loud this thing is?"

"Oh... I'm sorry. How's your patient?"

"She's better. She's been up too." Danny leaned against the railing and looked out the balcony window.

"That's good news. Is she remembering anything?"

"No. But we kind of got a name for her. Mickmi."

"Mick-mi? Never heard that one before. So... she's making progress. That means that she'll be leaving soon."

"Leaving? Where to? If she doesn't remember, where is she supposed to go?"

"If she still doesn't remember, then it's time to find out if she's been reported missing."

"I'm not doing that. That's her decision. Besides your boyfriend says she needs a stable, familiar environment and should stay here."

There was a pause, then, "Dan, you better know what you're doing. It could backfire, you know... Not making a report. If someone's looking for her, there could be charges."

Danny sighed. "I hear you, Sis. We'll do it when she's ready. Okay?"

This time, it took four seconds before Gina spoke again. "I haven't told Mom anything."

"We'll tell her when we have to. When is she coming home?"

"You can ask her yourself. But it sounds like another week."

"I hope so." That would suit him fine. Mickmi could do with the extra time. "By the way, the police was here yesterday."

"The police?"

"Yeah. And a guy from National Wildlife. Mr Davenport found that cougar—dead—and the Wildlife people came too 'cause there was an orphaned cub. I talked to them and reported what happened to Lad, and they came by and collected evidence."

There was silence at the other end for a while. "Well, I'm glad that's taken care of."

Danny didn't have the heart to tell her that another cat had killed it. "Yeah..."

There was some muffled disturbance on the phone, then, "Dan. Auntie wants to talk with you. Later."

He waited, somewhat impatiently.

"Danny! My favorite nephew! How are you?"

It was such a long time since he'd spoken to his aunt, he'd almost forgotten how he enjoyed chatting with her.