The Return To England

Start from the beginning

What have I got to lose? Wait. Did Brian's parents still think Brian and I were together? Ok then, I guess I'll let them think we're still together, what does it matter?

We walked along the sidewalk as a threesome and all the while, Brian's mother twittered and talked about Brian's childhood. Brian's father had seemed kind of silent, looking up to watch passing cars and such. Kind of like Brian, he would walk with his hands behind him; like a bird trying to take flight.

"Oh here it is! We'll just wait here, Katie"

I shoved the key in the doorway and stepped inside, and am taken aback.

This place is spotless! Somebody cleaned it! And kept it clean for the last year! What? Why? Huh? This is just weird. Shouldn't this store be all dusty and ragged?

I walked around in a trance before vaguely dropping my suitcase on the floor and stumbling back outside. I locked the door again before dropping the keys in my pocket and walking up to Mr and Mrs Jones.

************************************************************************************************************

Brian's POV:

Open me! Open me!

No!

************************************************************************************************************

Katie's POV:

The train ride was awkward is all I have I say. I came with them because they were trying to find Brian and had brought an extra ticket, which I was now using.

"Thanks, for the train ticket, by the way" I looked back from the window and looked at Mrs. Jones.

"No, don't mention it! You're my son's girlfriend!"

No, I'm not. Not anymore, sadly.

"So, where did you go?" Mr. Jones looked at me with Brian's eyes and I just about melted.

"M-Morocco" I did my best to smile at him.

"Brian has been saying that he wanted to go there, I wonder where he is.." Mrs. Jones trailed off and excepted a cup if tea from a passing waitress. I sighed quietly and turned my head toward the window, looking at the passing countryside.

After we'd gotten off the train, Brian's parents led me to their house. "What a lovely house!" I complemented them and Mrs. Jones replied with a laugh and a "thank you!" She opened the door and strode inside, Mr. Jones followed and I followed him.

"Would you like to see Brian's room? He hasn't been up there in a while, but if you'd like too, you can"

"Ok"

Mr. Jones led me up some steps and then we arrived to Brian's room. So this is where he'd grown up, it's pretty nice. There was a small record collection in the corner of the room and a clarinet case lying on the bed. Tidy. "It's a very nice room, thank you for showing me it" I thanked Mr. Jones before heading back downstairs, he stayed upstairs.

Mrs. Jones handed me a cup of tea and led me to a grand piano set up in the hall.

"I taught Brian the piano, you know, he's quite handy with instruments, but it all started on this piano right here" she said it so proudly and I rubbed a finger over the side.

"Here, sit down and I'll play for you, once Brian comes back, maybe he'll visit and he can play for you too"

I blushed and then Mrs. Jones lowered her hands to the piano.

>a couple of hours later<

"And here is such a cute picture if Brian when he was 12!"

He was all dressed up for the day, he was smiling cheekily but was standing still for the camera. "Aw, he's so cute!" I exclaim as I take another drink from my tea. Mr. Jones chuckles and hands me a photo of baby Brian Jones, my eye widen and I blush a bit.

"Awwwwwww!"

"Yes, he was a cute baby"

Mrs. Jones winked, "I bet he still is, in your eyes, right Katie?"

I stop smiling and stare down at the photo of mini Brian, before lifting my head. Mr. Jones stands up. "We have to go now, Katie, I'm sorry but I just remembered, we have to go meet with some old friends of ours"

Mrs. Jones stands as well, "right! I'm sorry Katie! There is a really nice hotel down the road from here, I'll pay if you like.."

I stand up "no, that's all right, I'll just be on my way in the morning, thank you"

The couple smile at me and I start to put down the photo I'd been holding, but Mrs. Jones' hand goes to mine and presses the picture into my palm.

"Here, you give that to Brian the next time you see him" she pauses, "and tell him that his parents would like to hear something from him once in a little while, or a call?"

I smile as she lowers her hand.

"Sure thing, Mrs. Jones"

They walk me to the door before greeting me farewell. I wave at them, and then I turn and start walking down the street toward a hotel where I can sleep at. All the while, the photo Mrs. Jones had given me in my hand.