“But I do. I’ve heard about you, Luke. You’re the one that gets all the girls with your romantic pick-up lines.”

            “So what? You jealous or somethin’?”

            “No, not at all,” Seth gritted his teeth, “I want to make a bet with you. I honestly don’t believe you can get all the girls. So–”

            “So you want me to specifically ask this one girl out? You have no idea how many of these bets I’ve won,” Luke cut in.

            “Is that so? Well then, I don’t think you can get a guy,” Seth smirked.

            “What, you want me to ask a guy out?” Luke looked at him in disgust.

            “Yes, because I say you can’t do it. What do you say?”

            Luke hesitated for a moment, “Fine, bet is on.”

            “Cool, cool. Now if you should fail–”

            “Don’t tell me, because I won’t fail. And when I win, you will stay away from me for the rest of eternity. Is that clear?” Luke declared.

            “Confident eh? Well, that’s fine by me. But I don’t want you asking a buddy of yours to work with you on this so I will specify someone: Noah Ephron.”

            “Who the hell is that?”

            “That kid that was pushed over in the lunch line just now.”

            “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

            “Problem?”

            “No.”

            “Good, now, you can’t tell anyone about this bet, not even your buddies.”

            “Yeah, okay.”  

            “You must also date him for three months,” Seth continued.

            “Are you just going to stand there and keep adding to the list or what?”

            “That attitude is going to kill you one day. C’mon, let’s go boys,” Seth snickered and walked out.

            Just as they left, the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Luke groaned and trudged out of the restroom and went to his locker to get his books for the next class. He sits through class, unable to concentrate at all. For the rest of that week, he couldn’t think about anything other than how he should approach Noah.

            It was one fateful Wednesday after school when Luke, Aiden, and Gavin are on their way, leaving school. They turn the corner, Aiden blabbering on about his new stereo set, Luke and Gavin pretending to listen. There was a flash of red and Gavin was thrown to the ground, another boy on top of him. Aiden and Luke froze, glancing at the two on the ground and turn their heads to see a couple of jocks next to them.

            The boy, wearing a red jacket and black jeans, push himself off of Gavin and scooted back. “I’m s-sorry!” he stuttered. “I’m r-r-really s-sorry! I d-didn’t mean to…”

            Gavin pushed himself upright and took one look at the boy before putting a hand on his shoulder, telling him that it was alright. The boy refused to listen though and continued on with his apologies. Gavin ceased his movements when he saw droplets of water on the tiled floor. The boy was crying. Without hesitation, Gavin pulled him into a hug and patted his back comfortingly. He looked up to find a couple of jocks snickering back at him.