Chapter 17

My first day back was not at all what I expected. I expected to be lost in the classroom at least for a while until I was fully caught up on notes and whatever else. I expected to get tired easily, which wasn’t as bed as I expected. I didn’t count on everyone watching me in the halls, everyone whispering things about me, and me being, at least all that I could tell, the center of attention, which I did NOT want. I understand I haven’t been at school in like 5 weeks or something, and that I’m on crutches, and that this is pretty much the first any of them have seen me pregnant but still they didn’t all have to stare like their lives depended on it.

I was thankful that I had Chrissy by my side, and some of my other close friends. They were able to get my mind off of all the people and not make me feel so overwhelmed by school and everything else. I didn’t have to go to the nurse’s office to lie down, I was tired but it wasn’t too bad.

The whole day I was looking forward to one thing, Eric’s class. I missed being in his class, not just cause he was my boyfriend but because I could tell he really enjoyed what he was teaching as well that he was teaching, which is really hard to find a teacher like that. People like that always tend to be my favorites. I love watching people talk about what they love; it always brings a smile to their face and light in their eyes.

I was trying to let go of everything that had happened before Eric’s class I didn’t want him to see that it wasn’t as great as I thought it would be. I sat in my seat and watched him do his thing. He acted as if I wasn’t even there as if he didn’t even recognize me, other then in the beginning of class when we welcomed me back. But that was a good thing; it meant no one would find out about us. We were back to Mr. Winter during the week and Eric on the weekends. I had mixed feelings when it came to that.

 When the day was done I went home texted Eric for a little while then took a nap before starting y homework. When my mom came home I told her about my day and a little about everyone staring but I told her not to mention that to Eric because I didn’t want him to do something he’d regret and I didn’t want him to worry, he was worried enough.

            The rest of the days went by pretty much the same except as time went by people stopped whispering behind my back and staring, a few come up and asked me questions or said how brave I was, by keeping the baby, or other random things. Things were a lot better now that I was off my crutches; I had a brace on my leg and the one on my hand I only wore sometimes. I’ve been back at school for about a month now. It was Friday and I was getting ready to leave, Chrissy was still driving me to and from school.            

We were walking to her car when Ms. Bloom stopped me walking past her classroom and asked me to come talk with her for a while.

I told her I would but Chrissy was my ride home, and she said tell Chrissy to go on that she’d take me home when we were done. I said ok knowing I didn’t have another choice, and told Chrissy she could leave.  I walked in her room, she sat down at one of the tables so I sat across from her.

“So how are you adjusting?” She asked. I could tell there was something else she wanted to talk about but she was going to warm up to it.

“Good, it’s a lot better now because I’m pretty much completely caught up in all my classes.” I explained.

“That’s good. And the baby?”

“Good. I can feel the baby kick a lot and it’s weird.” I said with a smile on my face wrapping my hand around my belly.

“Awe that’s nice.” She said with a smile on her face. “Do you know if it’s a boy or girl?”

“No we decided to wait.”