|four|

Sora immediately bit his lip and averted his gaze after he choked out them words. He immediately regretted saying anything as he felt Jax's gaze scan over his features.

"Sora... Why don't you want to go home?" Jax eventually spoke up after a few moments of an almost painful silence. Sora continued to gnaw at his lip, close to piercing the flesh and revealing blood. His hands balled into fists once again, even though the brunette's larger hands still covered them.

"I-I..." Sora found it hard to speak, as if the words were being forcefully pulled back. His mother had sworn to hurt him even more if he uttered a word of what went on at home. He didn't want that at all.

He shuffled around in the seat, not seeming to care about the darkness of the room. That was the least of his worries right now.

Jax's gaze was as patient and calm as possible, though they possessed a certain inquisitive glint. They also seemed to be rather anxious - from the way Sora was faltering, he could very easily tell that something was going on that he didn't know about.

Sora began to tremble, and before he knew it, his cheeks were dampened with tears that dripped down to his chin. He couldn't say it.

"Sora?" Jax repeated the other's name as he picked up the undoubtable scent of sadness in the air. That, and how the smaller male's hands seemed to tremble in his grasp.

This made Jax honestly feel bad for the boy.

As soon as he heard a choked cry escape from Sora's lips, the man was cradling the ravenette in his arms. It confused the smaller boy how he reached his side so quickly, but he wasn't in the right mind to think about it.

Jax began to gently cradle Sora in his arms, holding him close to his chest as he swayed from left to right.

As he did so, Sora couldn't hold back and began to sob into his unbuttoned shirt, gripping at the white cloth as he did so. It had been so, so long since he had been comforted like this. He appreciated it greatly.

After a moment of being cradled in Jax's arms and being comforted by his soft murmurs and hushes, the bright lights of the room eventually flickered back on again. This revealed Sora's trembling, unstable state.

His black hair was messed up and hanging over one of his eyes, and ha tears had left red stains on his previously pale and lightly freckled cheeks. His nose was also slightly red, along with his ears. He was shaking and still clinging onto Jax.

The taller male very gently ran his fingers through Sora's messy hair, sadness reflecting in his alluring emerald spectators. After a moment of letting him calm down, he eventually spoke up in a gentle, soft voice. "Will you tell me why you don't want to go home now?" He gently wiped away the tears that clung to the corners Sora's eyes with his thumb.

Sora continued to shiver, and he peered up at Jax through those long eyelashes of his. With a final sniffle and wipe of his eye, he spoke up in a shaky, quiet tone.

"Mother... She hurts me..."