Chapter 1 - Avoiding Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

     "Do you need something?"

     "Uh, yeah. A name."

     "Keaton," I replied, tapping my foot impatiently. "I kind of need to get my schedule from the of-"

     "Wow, what pretty name!" She laughed, ignoring the last part and waving her other friends over. "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Bailey!"

     I smiled, but it was one of those I'm-going-to-hurt-you-if-you-don't-leave-me-alone smiles. Her group came up to me, pretty and preppy.

    "This is Kayla, Andrea, and Hannah. Guys, this is, Keaton." She said, pointing to me. I waved a little, and then naturally just started judging them. Hey, that's just what girls do, okay?

     Bailey had dark brown hair, straightened to perfection. She had a defined jawline, and perfect teeth, making her very pretty. Kayla had straight blonde hair in a high ponytail with bright blue eyes. Andrea had blue eyes also, but they weren't as bright as Kayla's. She was tall, probably reaching 5'8'', while I barely hit 5'4''. Hannah's makeup was done perfectly. Each eyelash was separate and long, making her brown eyes pop.

     "Come on, Keaton. We'll take you to the office so you can get your schedule." Bailey offered.

     "Yeah!" Hannah squealed. Bailey hooked her arm with mine and we began walking. She was explaining all the cliques.

     "The cheerleaders are the annoying, bitchy ones. I mean, some of them are nice, but most of them are devils. The football players are everything at this school. They are really nice if you're nice to them, but most of them are players just trying to get in all the girl's pants. Noah, the one right there-" She pointed to the hottest guy there."-he's my boyfriend. He's also the star football player. If he's not at a game, we lose. Who's next? Hm. . . oh! The nerds. Yeah, they're nerds. Smart and stuff. You know how they are. Next group. . . the semi-popular people. These are just everyone, who's normal, who's nice, and not losers, but not popular. . . hm, what else. . ."

     I tuned myself out. I didn't want to listen to her just going on about the cliques. I mean I wasn't stupid. I've met or been in every single clique in this world. I'm basically an expert on cliques, if that's even possible.

    Finally, she stopped talking when we reached the main office. They stood back as I put my hands on the desk and cleared my throat to get her attention. "Oh, hi, there. What do you need?" She smiled, obviously showing she was a kind lady.

     "I'm new here and I need my schedule, please."

     "Of course, let me print them out for you, hun." After a few clicks on her computer, she got up and waddled to the printer. She was a little on the plus side. While she was doing that, I pulled out my phone and checked the time. It was 7:19 and school started in three minutes. Shoving my phone into my pocket, I heard the footsteps of the lady coming back with my schedule.

     "Here you go. The kids here are really nice here, so if you need any help with directions around this huge school, just ask around. I see you've made some friends already." She informed me. I was about to say that they weren't really my friends, but I stopped myself because one, they were right behind me and two, the lady walked off somewhere.

     I pushed myself off the desk and turned, looking at my schedule. Chemistry was first in Room 236. I was good at science, but it wasn't my favorite class.

     "Any of you know where to go?" I asked, showing them my schedule. None of them were in that class, but they knew where it was so they were just going to drop me there.

    "You know what, it's fine. I'll just go by myself." I said.

     "You sure?" Kayla asked, uneasily.

     I nodded my head and waved to them and started walking in a random hallway filled with kids.

     I looked for someone so I could ask directions. I didn't want to barge into a clique, so I went on my toes(I hated being short sometimes) to try and find a loner. Finally, I saw someone. He was busy texting, leaning against his locker. I couldn't really see his face, but what did it matter? I'm looking for directions, not to see if the guys here were cute. 

     After speed walking toward him, I tapped his shoulder and said, "Uh, excuse me?". He didn't look up. "I'm kind of busy here." He said, tapping his screen. Feeling the anger coming on, I took a deep breath, so I wouldn't get crazy.

     "Dude, seriously," I responded. "I just need help with directions, is that so hard?"

     "Can you just-" He looked at me, and his eyes widened. "Who are you?"

     "Keaton," I said, annoyed. "Directions, please?" I thrust my schedule at him.

     "Right, uh, chemistry. . . Room 236. . . hm," He stalled. "Alright, so what you are gonna do is come with me because I have that class, too." He smiled, and put his phone in his pocket.

     He was cute, I guess. He had light brown hair with natural blonde highlights. His hair was the shaggy type, and on him it looked good. His eyes were a plain dark brown, and underneath his eyes were bunches of freckles. He was a little muscular, probably no six-pack, but it didn't matter.

     We walked in complete silence all the way to Room 236. Once we found the classroom, he went of with his friends, and I took a seat in the back away from everyone. The bell rang and everyone began pouring in. 

     The teacher came in and opened her computer and began taking attendance. Then, a guy walked in. I looked up to see him and his face was familiar. I racked my brain to try and find out why he was so familiar, then realized that it was Bailey's boyfriend! 

     I looked him and he turned his head away from the teacher and looked back at me. His eyes were  the brightest blue I have ever seen. He was handsome, no, he was sexy. I stared at him as he walked closer to me, smiling.

     He walked over and sat down in the chair next to me. My heart fluttered.

     "You must be Keaton, the newbie, right?"

---------------------

Yoyoyoyo!

This is my first story and I actually am super duper excited for it! I have this whole plan and it gets kinda crazy, but who doesn't like a crazy ride?

Thanks for reading, guys and please vote and comment! That would mean a lot, I take each comment very seriously, so any profanity or mean things will be deleted! 

¡Gracias!

-Alyssa