Chapter Twenty Two; Growing

I stare down at the book Peeta and I made four years ago. I run my hand down the picture of Prim. These past few weeks I've not been able to shake her out of my mind. My nightmares of her have returned, more terrifying. I wake up almost every night screaming. Peeta is always there to comfort me and make me feel better, but I can't help but feel guilty for putting Willow through that. She doesn't understand what I go through yet. We told her that I have very scary dreams, and that they wake me up. We tell her that she has nothing to worry about, but I am terrified that one day, she will go through the pain I once did.

My daughter, only two years old, already has to understand the misery of the games, without even knowing they exist.

"Mommy! Mommy!" Willow says in her still baby like voice as she runs into the room with a giant teddy bear in hand. "Look what daddy got me!"

"That's great, little bird." I say as I close the book and lift her up onto my lap. "Happy birthday, my love."

I kiss her forehead, before letting her run off to Peeta again. He comes through the door and scoops her up into his arms.

"I took her to the square this morning, and I couldn't resist buying it for her. It is her birthday, after all." Peeta says with a grin.

Willow looks at Peeta with a smile plastered over her face. "I'm two today, mommy." She says.

"I know, sweetie." I say as I stand up and kiss her on the head again. Time has flown by too quickly. Where did my tiny baby go?

"What do you want to do today?" I ask her.

"Daddy said that we can go to the meadow and play in the snow!" She squeals. "He said only if mommy wants to too!"

"Of course I do." I say. "Are you sure that's what you want to do on your special day?"

"Yes, mommy." She gurgles as she squeezes the teddy bear that Peeta bought her tightly.

"Let's get ready then, baby girl." I say to her as I give her a peck on the cheek. Peeta puts her down, and she runs to her bedroom.

"Time has flown by too quickly." Peeta says as he wraps his arms around me. "I can't believe she's already two."

"I know.." I whisper. "It seems like just yesterday she was crawling around, barely even able to speak." I say, not noticing that I am choking up.

"Two years ago, we were at the hospital awaiting the arrival of this little one.." Peeta says, pointing to Willow.

"Mama!" Willow squeals as she comes out of her room. She seems to have tried to dress herself. She has socks on her hands and a sweater on backwards.

"Oh, dear." I say as I lift her up. "What did you do?"

Willow looks at me with a smile, and starts giggling. I can't help but laugh my tears away. My daughter and Peeta are the best things that have happened to me.

+++

"Hang on, you two!" I yell to Peeta and Willow who are trudging out the door, having a "race." Peeta of course let's her win. They are like twins; always doing things alike and together.

"I told Haymitch we'd stop by before we went anywhere." Peeta says. "He and Effie want to see the birthday girl."

"Oh, okay." I say. "Willow, do you want to go see Uncle Haymitch and Auntie Effie?"

"Yes!" Willow squeals as she runs towards Effie and Haymitch's house.

Willow has referred to Effie and Haymitch as her aunt and uncle for as long as I can remember. Nobody told her to, we are all just so close. They're always spoiling her and watching her when Peeta and I go out. Willow knows exactly where their house is. Even though it's right across the street, it's impressive that a two year old knows something like that.

"Hello, hello!" I yell as we enter Haymitch's house. Haymitch and Effie are in the kitchen, with what looks like a cake.

"What the hell is this?" I whisper to Haymitch with a laugh as Effie plays with Willow.

"It's my cake!" Haymitch says. "Isn't it pretty?"

"Oh my gosh." I whisper as I shake my head. "Haymitch, you do know Peeta baked a cake, right?"

"I did!" Haymitch says sarcastically. "I just wanted to bake a cake for my niece." He says with a wink.

"Well, thanks." I say with a smile. "I'm sure Willow will appreciate it. I know I do."

"I have a great idea!" Effie squeals. "Why don't Haymitch and I come with you three to the meadow? We'll be able to spend some quality time together."

"Okay," I say with a smile.

I pick up Willow, and Effie, Haymitch, Peeta, and I walk together to the meadow to play in the snow.

"Are you cold, sweetie?" I ask Willow as I put my hat on her little head.

"I'm okay, mama." She says as she picks up a snowball and tries to throw it at Peeta.

"Woah, there, missy!" Peeta says as he scoops her up. "What in the world are you doing?"

Willow smiles at Peeta, and hits him lightly.

"Willow!" I joke. "What are you doing?"

"Snowball fight!" She squeals as she throws a snowball at Haymitch.

"It's on, you three!" I yell to Haymitch, Effie, and Peeta.

I make a few snowballs, and begin chucking them at them. Willow runs around us and watches as the four of us literally attempt to kill each other with snow. We all end up falling to the ground with laughter, Willow joining us and giggling along.

We make a snowman too, and that was Willow's favorite part. Although she couldn't help much, making the snowman made her extremely excited. She named it "snowy."

+++

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Willow! Happy birthday to you." Effie, Haymitch, Peeta, and I sing. Willow's face lights up as we give her a piece of the cake Peeta made, and also a piece of Haymitch's.

Peeta and I sit by the fire as Willow babbles along with Haymitch and Effie.

"I still can't believe she's two." I whisper to Peeta as I lean over to him. He wraps his arm around me and kisses my temple.

"Time flies." He whispers back.

"I'm just happy that we have her and that she's healthy."

"So am I." Peeta starts. "Katniss?" He asks.

"Yes?"

"Thank you." He whispers.

"For what?"

"For marrying me. For loving me. And most of all, for giving me such a wonderful gift. My child. I'd always wanted children but never knew if you'd agree, and since you've given me Willow, I couldn't be happier. I will never stop owing you for making me the happiest man alive."

I smile at Peeta's words. "Never stop owing you.." It makes me think of all of the wonderful things Peeta has done for me that I never believed I'd be able to repay him for. I don't say anything. I just lean snuggle up to him and watch our happy daughter with the other two people that have had such an impact on my happiness.