Chapter Eight; The Call

I roll over and give Peeta a soft kiss on the neck to wake him.

"Ugh," he moans as he buries his head into his pillow. "What time is it?"

My lips leave his neck for a split second to check the time, and I go back to what I was doing.

"5:30," I mumble.

"Katniss, I love you very much, but it's five thirty in the morning. You and I both need rest."

"I'm not tired," I whine. "I need this!"

"Katniss," Peeta says with a smile. "You're pregnant."

"Exactly. You did this to me and all of these hormones are making me absolutely crazy. I'm afraid if you don't have sex with me right now I may go insane."

"I don't know how you have this energy," Peeta says, kissing me on the nose.

"Well I do, so give me what I want!" I whine jokingly.

Peeta begins to kiss my neck, until I feel a slight movement in my stomach.

"Wait," I whisper, moving away from Peeta. I lift up my shirt and examine my stomach.

"I think he moved!"

"He?" Peeta asks.

"I have this gut feeling it's a boy." I say with a smile. "I just know it."

Peeta places his hand on my abdomen, and I feel it again. The slight pressure coming from a tiny foot. Or hand. About the size of a quarter.

I watch Peeta as his face turns from one emotion to another. He makes small circular motions over my stomach and the baby continues to kick.

"That's our baby in there." He coos as he turns to face me.

"It is," I say with a smile. "It's becoming more and more real every day. Are you sure you are ready for this?"

"More than ready."

Peeta begins to kiss me on the neck again until we are interrupted by the phone ringing. But who could it be? No one calls us anymore. We all live so close, we don't need to.

"I'll get it." Peeta insists. He picks up the phone and his usual happy face turns into a concerned frown.

"W-who is it? My voice says shakily.

"It's your mother.."

Anger fills me as I basically scream "What does she want?" I had seen her five months ago at my wedding when she told me she was coming back. She had never contacted me after that. She left me with a piece of my heart missing. I don't know how I'll forgive her after that. She told me she was moving back to be with us, and I had been so happy. I'm only 18 years old. I've needed my mother in my life.

I grab the phone from Peeta and carefully place it beside my ear. "Hello?"

"Katniss. Katniss I'm so sorry. I've been so busy at work here in 4 and I haven't had time to call. I know I said I'd be moving back but I just couldn't. I'm still not ready."

"Do you think you are the only person affected by Prim's death?" I shout as I begin to tremble. "I don't go a day without thinking about her. You can't just leave your pregnant daughter because you're upset about Prim." I scream.

That's when it hits me. I just told my mother that I am pregnant.

"M-my pregnant daughter?" My mother says softly.

"Yes.." I say awkwardly. "I'm pregnant."

"How far along are you?"

"Three months. Almost four."

"Katniss..." My mother whispers into the line. "Why haven't you told me?"

"You haven't contacted me at all." I say stubbornly.

"I'm coming home as soon as I can." She says before the line goes dead."

I drop the phone to the floor and sit next to it. I burry my head into my hands and let the tears flow.

"I hadn't thought about how messed up this is. My life. It's a series of unfortunate events." I sob.

"Katniss.." Peeta whispers as he rubs my back.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. "I shouldn't be acting like this. I'm being selfish. I have an amazing husband and a healthy baby on the way. My life couldn't get any better."

"That's good to hear," Peeta coos. "We're going to be alright. I promise."

___
Authors note:
Ehh sorry this chapter was kind of boring. It's basically a filler chapter. Don't worry, the next chapter will be much better.