Chapter 1

On a mundane winter Friday afternoon, a raven haired girl walked silently down an ice covered sidewalk, her black eyes cold, distant and never wandering. She was deep in thought, seemingly unaware of her surroundings on anything but a subconscious level.

The aura that this girl resonated was felt strongly by others around her. It was frigid, like the cold winter wind that was making its way through the small community, leaving no leaf unturned. It was no wonder a passerby, no older than fifteen years old perhaps, went from taking a leisurely stroll to walking away from her in a frantic pace.

It was when Hecate had heard the retreating footsteps, the crunch of snow under heavy feet, that she was brought out of her reverie and back to the real world. She looked down at the ground, which was covered in a thick blanket of snow, then at the sky, that seemed to have lost all its clouds, and was nothing but a large sheet of gray. She sighed a deep sigh, expressing her otherwise cooped up annoyance at the teenager who had retreated from her quickly.

"You're all the same. Every last one of you," she said, though there was no one around, with a frown on her face.

It wasn't long before her house came into view. It was at the end of the neighborhood. A small two story white house, that in all its simplicity, was the symbol of fear in the community of Ravenwood, White Springs.

It was the kind of house that parents warned their kids not to go near on Halloween night, the kind that a friendly neighborhood woman would skip when giving invitations to her son's birthday party or any other event of importance. But it wasn't so much the house itself, but the people who resided in it. Particularly Witch of the Second Degree, Thorn Blackwood.

And of course, Hecate Blackwood, the mysterious raven haired girl with pale skin and lips seemingly forever in a straight line, never once stretching upwards. The two had lived together ever since that fateful day that took her parents lives, and took her into the care and teaching of Thorn.

Hecate let out a breath of relief upon finally reaching her home. She opened the front door and stepped into the almost entirely red living room, throwing her bag down on the armchair next to her and herself on the couch.

She could hear the familiar sound of a boiling cauldron coming from the backroom of the house and knew that her guardian was busy, probably brewing a potion, or just some cooking soup. Who knew with Thorn?

After she had caught her breath, she rose from the blood red sofa and proceeded to the next room then went through the open sliding glass door and into the thatch hut that the two had constructed entirely by themselves, their greatest accomplishment they would say, though it stuck out like a sore thumb in the otherwise normal backyard.

Thorn Blackwood stood with her back turned to the doorway, and Hecate could hear faint chanting, and could feel the energies in the atmosphere changing around her. It took a moment, but Thorn sensed her presence and stopped her chanting, and the atmosphere became static, as if something had been ripped from it, leaving an empty void.

The 33 year old woman placed a hand on her hip and looked at Hecate with amused eyes. "You're home early. As usual."

"I know," Hecate responded, taking a seat on a nearby stool, "There's nothing for me to do out there after school."

"Well, you could just get a boyfriend like normal girls your age. Then again, it's like you've got an icicle shoved up your ass most of the time," Thorn joked, before erupting into a fit of laughter. She was still a teenager at heart, and her superiority in social skills compared to Hecate's could be seen through the many friends she had, none of which knew of her position, but had a basic knowledge of her use of witchcraft.