Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

We simply held onto each other, until both of our breathing evened out and we weren’t clutching each other quite so hard.

I pulled slightly away to look him in the eye. “I’m sorry, Dimitri,” I said softly, cupping his cheek with my hand.

Dimitri leaned into my hand, closing his eyes briefly, before opening them again. “I - I want to say ‘it’s okay,’ but it’s really not. You scared me so much. I thought I'd lost you.” He sighed, his warm breath washing over my face softly. “However, I forgive you. Just...please. Be careful. Okay?”

I nodded again, my eyes welling up with tears once more. It felt as if I was in the middle of a hurricane of emotions, the eye of the storm nowhere in sight. Now that the horror had passed, the relief and happiness and love and aliveness filled me. Before Dimitri could say a word about the tears, I threw my arms around his neck, pulling my body on top of his, forcing him to fall backwards on the bed. I pressed my lips frantically onto his.

For a few startled seconds, Dimitri just lay there, not moving. Once he got over his shock, he began kissing me with equal vigor. I poured all of my happiness and love and relief into that kiss, feeling Dimitri return all of those emotions and much more. Rapidly, the kiss escalated from ‘thank goodness we’re alive,’ to ‘I want you now.’

It seemed as if Dimitri was letting go of his previous rules as his hands wandered over my shirt. Over the last couple of weeks, we hadn’t had much opportunity to kiss, as I was mostly always sad or upset somehow and all he did was hug me. I now took advantage of the kisses and his lapse in control to tug his shirt over his head. Dimitri made a small noise of annoyance at the separation of our lips, but it quickly turned to pleasure as I ran my hands over his hard chest and kissed down his neck.

Dimitri slipped his hands under my shirt and ran them along my sensitive, six month stomach. For once, Ivan decided to not ruin our moment and stayed still. As Dimitri’s hands rose up, so did my t-shirt, until it was bunched up underneath my arms. I raised my arms and let him pull it off of me, sitting up so that I was straddling him in the process. For an instant, I was self-conscious of the fact that I was no longer the thin and in-shape beauty I was before I got pregnant, but all of my insecurities scattered as Dimitri gazed at my almost bare upper body with desire. This wasn’t the first time he had seen me like this, but it was the first time in over a month.

“You are so beautiful,” he whispered reverently.

Dimitri sat up and crashed his lips with mine once more. He ran his hands along my back, caressing the skin, before moving them forward, all the while kissing me. I resumed my own exploration of his chest. I broke the kiss to breathe, but he continued kissing me down my neck, and along my shoulders, to the outline of my bra. My breathing was embarrassingly loud and small moans kept escaping from my lips. I couldn’t help it, though. This was the farthest I had ever gotten with anyone, not counting my rape. No one had ever touched me the way Dimitri now was. Excitement and pleasure filled my body. I pressed Dimitri’s head closer to my breasts, arching my back as my hand got lost in his soft hair. He brought one of his hands forward and squeezed my breast while the other rested around my back and on the hip on the other side.

“Dimitri!” I cried out, gripping his hair harder.

He let out a small moan in response. And then he stopped and moved his head to rest on my shoulder.

I held onto his shoulders as Dimitri wrapped his arms around my waist, both of us trying to catch our breath.

“What - what was - why - why did you stop?” I finally gasped out, shocked from the sensory overload, then absolutely nothing.