Chapter Three

Disclaimer: I do not own Vampire Academy, the amazing Richelle Mead does.

DPOV:

The next morning found me in the gym 45 minutes before lessons began, waiting for Rose to show up. While I waited, I read one of my favorite western novels.

A good half hour passed before I heard the sound of the gym door opening.

In came a female dhampir. She had long dark hair, which looked almost black in the lighting. I could tell she was much shorter than me, perhaps 5' 6, or 5' 7, a midget compared to my 6' 7 frame. She was very curvy, and her eyes were startlingly large and dark. She was wearing workout clothes consisting of black sweatpants and a red tank top, with a sweatshirt over it.

"Rose?" I hazarded a guess.

She took one look at me, and turned around. She walked out, slamming the gym door behind her.

I sat there, stunned. I had heard many things about Rose, a lot of very suggestive things. I had heard guys describe her like she was a piece of meat. What I wasn't expecting was how beautiful she truly was. I didn't understand her reaction, though. I realized I was just sitting there, and stood up from my seat, quickly going after her.

By the time I had come out of the gym, it appeared as if she was half way across campus. I followed her, trying to catch up. It was surprisingly difficult, due to the fact that she had a major head start, and she was fast! The added fact that I didn't know where we were going didn't help, either.

She swiftly made her way toward the administration building. I continued following her, mystified. I had gathered that she didn't like the school, and avoided the administration building like the plague. So why was she going toward it willingly?

Rose went inside, with me hot on her heels. She made a beeline to Guardian Petrov's office, barged in without knocking, and collapsed in a chair. I walked in calmly, and stood against the wall by the now closed door, observing silently.

"What the hell, Alberta?" she exclaimed, looking outraged.

I was surprised by the lack of title, but something told me it was the norm with Rose.

Petrov looked up, raising an eyebrow. Rose scowled.

"What seems to be the problem?" Petrov asked calmly. I was even more surprised that she didn't reprimand Rose for her rudeness, but once again, something told me that that wouldn't stop Rose.

"Why is he," she jabbed a finger in my direction, "my mentor?"

The other eyebrow now joined the first one on Petrov's face. "I see no problem."

Rose buried her face in her hands, mumbling her words so that I had to strain to hear them. She clearly meant for me to not hear.

"He can't be my mentor," she mumbling, her words barely coherent from where I was standing.

Petrov looked at her with a slightly concerned face. "Why Rose?"

Here, Rose mumbled so low that I couldn't hear all of it. The only words that I caught were, "comfortable," "man," and "pregnant." It didn't make any sense to me. I was completely lost, and it frustrated me. I had the oddest need to keep her safe. I looked at her as she sat, bowed down, and felt another shock course through me. From the way Petrov, her mother, even Kirova, talked about her, I had expected a fierce warrior, not this obviously broken teenage girl.

RPOV: (yay! Now we get to hear from the star herself)

I woke up this morning to the annoying beeping of my alarm clock. I opened my eyes, blearily looking at the clock. Why am I waking up at 5am? I thought hazily. I smacked my alarm clock until it shut off, then closed my eyes contently. But the reason why I was waking up this early kept nagging me, not allowing me to fall back asleep. It finally dawned on me that I had my first training session today with my new mentor. All Alberta had said was to be in the gym at 6 am. I groaned as I remembered this. God I hoped that my mentor was a girl. I don't know how I would handle having a guy so recently after -