Chapter Seventeen

Disclaimer: I do not own VA.

RPOV:

I stomped angrily across campus to my mom's room. The cold, late December wind cooled down my temper, and I began to feel guilty. What was that back there? It seemed like more than just pregnancy hormones, although they certainly helped. I felt tears well up in my eyes as I reached my mom's room. I knocked on the door.

"Hang on!" I heard her voice call through the door. She opened it, her breathing slightly harder than normal, but I didn't pay attention to that. Instead, I threw my arms around her.

"Mommy!" I cried out, letting my sobs loose on her shirt. She seemed frozen from shock, but came to her senses quickly, pulling me into her room.

She lead us to the couch in the living room like area in her guest room. It was surprisingly comfortable.

"What's wrong, Rosie?" Mom asked softly, stroking my hair.

"I – I ye – yelled at L – Lissa," I sobbed out. "I c – called her s – selfish cause she was h – hurt that I d – did – didn't t – take her t – to my ul – ult – ultrasound."

"Sh, sh, it's alright," Mom cooed, rocking me gently.

After several long minutes, I finally calmed down enough to tell Mom what happened.

"It was like something took over my body," I finished.

Mom looked at me with concern. "Are you all right? Was it the hormones?" she asked.

I shook my head, but then paused. "Well, it wasn't totally hormones. I mean, it was partially, but then it was something else. Something darker. I'm scared," I whimpered, cuddling closer to my mom.

Mom stroked my hair comfortingly. "I don't know what to tell you, honey. All I can say is, let her calm down, you can calm down, and then apologize. I'm sure once you explain you didn't mean it, she'll understand." She kissed my hair.

I stayed quiet. Because in all honesty, I did mean some of the things I had said. Maybe not most, but some. Like the fact that she had it so easy. And she was selfish at times. But I still loved her, and considered her my sister.

I sighed, pulling away. Glancing at the clocked, I was surprised to see how much time had passed.

"I better go," I said, standing up.

Mom looked startled. "Go where?" she asked.

I looked at her. "Back to my room so Dimitri can come get me so I won't be late to the plane, or get lost, or slip and fall, or whatever it is that he's worried about." I chuckled, running a hand through my hair. I wondered if I looked as bad as I thought I did.

"Oh, alright," Mom said quietly.

I frowned, but then remembered the ultrasound picture. I looked around and saw it lying forgotten on the couch. I picked it up, handing it to her.

"Here, mom. This is your grandchild," I said.

Mom's eyes widened, then filled with moisture.

"Thank you," she whispered, gazing awestruck at the picture in her hand. After staring at it for several moments in silence, she glanced up, her eyes dry now. She began handing it back to me, but I shook my head.

"No, keep it. It's for you. I already have a copy," I said, gently pushing it away.

Her eyes teared up again. "Oh, Rosie," she cried out, wrapping me in a tight hug. "Thank you! Thank you so much. It's beautiful."

____________________________________________________________

I left my mom's room in a much brighter mood than I came in.