Chapter Fourteen

Disclaimer: I don’t own Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead does.

RPOV:

Dimitri and I spent a week at the Court. Between preparations for Ivan's funeral, and sitting, waiting for my mother to wake up, Dimitri had me train with other female guardians at the court. It was a serious improvement when I could actually practice the moves on another human being. I picked up the techniques faster, and was actually able to see how the moves were in battle, and how they affected my opponent. It also helped me perfect my stomach protection techniques; I was now positively sure no one could hurt my stomach.

My mother woke up on the third day of our stay. I was so happy, I started crying, although it didn't take much to set me off now. I immediately forgave my mom for everything, and she even shed a few tears. She was still in the hospital, and it would be a couple of months before she was able to leave, but at least she was no longer in a comma.

It was now Christmas and I was 4 months along. The Academy was going to let the students go to a ski lodge in Idaho for Christmas due to the increased number of Strigoi attacks.

After Ivan's death, Dimitri and I became closer than ever. He now had a tendency to touch me, small touches, of course, building up to bigger ones. A pat on the shoulder, a hand along my elbow, finger tips on my back. I didn't mind for two reasons. One, it helped become more comfortable around him to the point where each touch made me feel less uneasy, less shock, and more used to it. He could now wrap his arm around me and pull me briefly into his side.

The other reason was slightly more embarrassing; I simply liked it when he touched me. I liked the feel of hid large warm hand clasping my elbow as he showed me a move. Or the casual hand on my lower back, guiding me. Every time he touched me, little jolts made their way up my body, warming me as they went. It gave me a dangerous thrill, which I blamed on my hormone ridden body, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it had little to do with my hormones, and a ll of it to do with me.

One day, about a week before Christmas break, my mom came to visit with her charge. She appeared in my doorway, bright and early, before even training.

“Hey, Rose,” she said, walking into my room.

“Hey mom,” I replied as I stumbled around my room, getting ready for practice. We weren't really doing all that much, but ever since I began being able to handle some touching, Dimitri has attempted to fight with me, with mixed results.

“What are you doing here?” I asked curiously.

“Well, as you know, with the increased amount of Strigoi attacks, St. Vladmir's is going to the ski lodge in Idaho. My charge is also going, which means I will be too.” she answered.

I looked at her excitedly. “We get to spend Christmas together?” I exclaimed happily.

Mom smiled. “Yes, that means we get to spend Christmas together.”

“Well, we must have Christmas dinner together! You, me, Lissa, Sparky, Eddie, Mason, Mia, and Dimitri!” I was practically jumping with joy.

Mom laughed. “That's quite a list you've got there. But Guardian Belikov? Why him?” she asked.

I shrugged. “Well, his family is in Russia, and, as odd as it may sound, I’m like his only friend. And I trust him. Oh, and I’m comfortable around him, unlike any other guy.” I grinned at her.

She looked surprised – and relieved. “Oh, you're getting over it?” she asked hopefully.

I nodded. “Yeah, sort of. I mean, I’m okay around Dimitri, but around any other guy...they can get closer now, within two feet. Sparky and Mason can get within one, although that's simply because they don't know the meaning of personal space,” I joked.