Chapter Seventeen

I could not sleep a wink last night after learning that the girl I've been having these strange dreams about is Susanna Jacobson. Aiden had asked to hang out again but there was no way that I could hang out with anyone until I go see Father Mulligan again. I hurry up and get dressed; I don't want Brooke to catch me before I head out. I look at the clock and figure that it's too early for her to be up anyway so I should be safe.

I slowly open my door and listen. I don't hear anything other than talking coming from Brooke's parents' room. I hurry outside my room and down the stairs. As I reach the front door, I can hear Brooke's parents open their door and continue talking. I slip out the front door and am immediately immersed in fresh air. That was close; I love her parents but I really need to see Father Mulligan. I get in my car and start the all too familiar route to the hospital.

As soon as I reach the hospital I basically jump out of my car and head inside. The stale scent of the hospital wafts through the air as I walk up to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm here to visit Father Mulligan," I say to the receptionist.

"Sure one second," She says. "Looks like he was actually discharged yesterday. He's probably back down at the church."

"Oh wow, okay. Thank you," I say. I turn around and head back to my car. I'm glad he's not here anymore. I hate this place and I hated that I had to see him here. I hurry to the church. I have so many questions for him and I feel like I am going to burst if I don't ask them soon.

I pull into the parking lot at the church and quickly put my car in park. I hurry inside and without hesitation and head down the hall towards Father Mulligan's office. I can feel the nervous tension in the air as I stop in front of his door. I'm hoping that after today, I'll have all the answers that I have been searching for. It kind of scares me actually. I've been in the dark for so long now and finally I can see the light; I just hope I don't get burned.

I cautiously knock on the door and within seconds, I hear a muffled 'come in'. I open the door slowly and feel relieved as I see Father Mulligan sitting behind his desk, sifting through pages of a book.

He looks up at me and smiles, "Miss Porter, I've been wondering when you were going to drop by. I was actually thinking about giving you a call this week."

"You look much better. I'm sure you feel better as well," I say.

"I do. I feel much better and I am very glad to be out of the hospital and back here, in the comfort of the church," He says and closes the book. He motions for me to sit in the chair opposite of his desk.

I decide to just get right to it and ask the question I've been dying to ask. "Have you found any answers?"

He gives me a sad smile and there's pain in his eyes. I swallow a lump in my throat as he sighs. "I believe I have some of the answers, but I'm afraid I still don't know everything." He gets up and starts pacing the room. "Well I figured out why I recognize the necklace. There was a girl about eighteen years ago who wore that exact same necklace and she came to me with a similar problem. She was having strange dreams but the dreams never changed. They were recurring and in every single one, there was girl who kept warning her. Told her to watch out and be safe. Unfortunately, the warnings didn't do much for her; she ended up dying."

"How did she die? Was it an accident?" I ask.

He rubs his hand over his face. "She died in a car crash on her graduation day. Thankfully she was the only one in the car." He looks into the distance as if he is re-living that day again. "I remember that day so clearly now. She was so young and so full of life. I used to think it was an accident but after everything that has happened over the last few weeks, I'm not entirely sure."