Chapter Sixteen

It's been a few days since I last went to visit Father Mulligan. I want to go and see if he's learned anything but I know that it'll take some time. Ever since I visited him, I've had the feeling multiple times that I'm being watched. It only happens when I'm alone though, so I've been doing my best to stay with someone at all times.

Brooke and I are at Lena's house helping her set up for her party. It's in 5 hours. Brooke seems to be more stressed out about it than Lena, which sort of surprises me. Lena is usually the one who goes crazy when planning a party. I guess this summer she's changed; I was too busy with my own problems to notice it.

"Okay, so I think this place is coming together nicely," Lena says.

Brooke and I nod in agreement. That compliment from Lena seems to help Brooke relieve some of her stress.

"I think once we finish getting the food tables set up, we can be done until it's time to put the food out which we can do right before the party starts." Brooke starts unfolding another table and Lena and I follow her.

Once all the tables are in place we put the tablecloths over top of them and we stop and admire how we transformed Lena's back yard. If a lot of people show up, I think this will be a really good party.

"This place looks amazing if I do say so myself," Brooke says. Lena and I laugh at her. That's the most positive thing she's said about this party yet.

"It does look amazing. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to start getting ready for tonight. I'll see you both later!" Lena turns and heads into her house.

"Did you invite Aiden for tonight?" Brooke asks as we gather our belongings.

"I wasn't sure if I was going to but then he asked to hang out tonight. So I told him about the party and he agreed. So yes, I did invite him," I say as we leave Lena's backyard.

Brooke playfully nudges me, "So what are you going to wear?"

"I don't know, probably jeans and a shirt," I say.

"No you should totally wear a dress. Dresses look really good on you," She says.

"I'll think about it," I say to make her happy.

We get in Brooke's car and head back towards her house. As we pull into her driveway we see that her parents are standing on the front porch, as if they are waiting for us.

"That's super weird, why are they standing there?" Brooke asks. I shrug my shoulders and we get out of her car. "Hey mom and dad, what's up?"

Her parents look at each other and then look at us. A big smile appears on both of their faces. They start handing me an envelope as we walk towards them.

"What's this?" I ask.

"It's from Lowden," Mrs. Geiger says.

My heart starts to jump inside of me. I pretty sure it might jump right out of my body.

"Do you want some privacy to open it alone?" Brooke asks.

"No I'm fine," I say. I take a deep breath and then rip open the top of the envelope. I carefully take out the letter as if one wrong move could destroy it. I start reading it and I'm surprised by what I find.

"Well?" Brooke says and her mother shushes her.

"I got in," I say and wave a relief rushes over me. I have been so anxious about getting in ever since I decided to apply and now I finally have a plan for the future again.

Brooke's family pulls me into a hug and both her parents keep saying how proud they are of me. I feel happy, it's as if my parents are the one's saying how proud they are.