Chapter Seven

I feel spooked from what happened earlier. Every time I turn a corner I expect some monster to jump out at me. I still don't know if there really is something in the house or if I'm just going crazy; I don't even know which I would rather be true.

It's finally time to get ready for my casual outing with Chase. Yeah, that's what I'm calling it until I can figure out what it is; but I'm glad for the distraction. Brooke gave me three options of outfits to choose from. I'm relieved she gave me the options because I had no idea what to choose from. Yet, I kind of wish she just told me what the wear. Chase will be here in forty-five minutes. He is coming fifteen minutes earlier than he originally planned because in an hour, Brooke and her parents are heading out to go to some fundraiser at her dads work and I have absolutely no desire to be in this house alone; Especially in the later hours of the day.

I stand at the foot of my bed staring at all three hoping that one of them will just jump up and say, 'pick me'. That would be a huge life savor. Unfortunately that won't be happening anytime soon, so I just rely on the next best thing.

"Eeny, meeny, miny, moe—"

"Really? You are having that much difficulty deciding what to wear?" Brooke walks in as I am trying to decide.

"Well just staring at them wasn't really doing anything so I figure that this might help," I say, sort of embarrassed from her catching me choosing my outfit the way I would choose things when I was a kid.

She rolls her eyes at me, "Okay, this is just so pathetic. Choose the middle one. It's casual yet, super cute and will look awesome on you. Oh and wear that new necklace you got, it will go with it splendidly!"

The outfit she picked was a pair of black jeans with a blue shirt. She took out gold sandals and a white sweater. I can see now how the necklace would tie the whole thing together. I sort of don't want to wear the necklace but part of me agrees that it would look awesome with it.

"This necklace is super gorgeous but it is kind of creepy that some person with the initial's 'SJ' sent it to you without anything other than that super helpful note." Sarcasm is dripping off of her last few words.

"Yeah tell me about it," I agree as I change into my clothes.

Once I am fully dressed into my outfit, Brooke hands me the necklace as the final piece. I hold it in my hands, standing in front of the full length mirror and contemplate whether it is a good idea or not. I decide again, why not, it is a really pretty necklace. I place it over my head and watch it hang down in front of me. It feels perfect. Like it has been there the whole time.

A few minutes later the doorbell rings. My heart flutters. Why is it doing that? I don't know how many times I have to tell myself that I don't have feelings for Chase. One more glance into the mirror and it's time to head downstairs. As I exit my room, I grab my purse and try to relax my shoulders. The tension from the day has built up in them and I don't want Chase or Brooke to notice.

I reach the stairs and pause, I hear Chase speaking with Mr. Geiger, very politely. Mr. Geiger is very interested in Chase's father and with what Chase wants to do with his life. I think he's trying to make up for the fact that I don't have my own father to drill my dates. Ah date, not sure if that is the right word. Maybe after tonight, I will know.

I take a deep breath and head down the stairs. When they hear me coming, both stop talking and glance up. Chase smiles at me and my heart flutters once more. Stop doing that.

"Well you look very beautiful Charlotte," Mr. Geiger says.

I smile at him. "Thank you, but you can give all the credit to Brooke."