Chapter Thirteen

I can't believe what I am looking at. I didn't think the Hunter attacked anyone else but it's target. I wish Chase were here, he might know the reason. Father Mulligan is a kind man; he didn't deserve this.

I just stand there staring at Father Mulligan in disbelief. I don't even know what to do. Should I talk to him like he's awake? I've never really been in this situation before, I don't really know how to act. I decide to just head back to Brooke's house. I can't get anything out of him anyway and I don't want to disturb him if he were to wake up.

"Miss Porter..."

I look up at his face and see his eyes flickering open. My heart starts pounding in my chest, he's okay!

"Miss Porter..." He says again.

"Shh, Father Mulligan you need your rest. I'll let Sister Eleanor know you're awake."

As much as I want to ask him about the Hunter, I know I can't. That information would be too much for him right now.

He closes his eyes again and his breathing steadies. He must be drifting back into the black void that is the mind. I should know; I've been there. I start heading out the door, Sister Eleanor will be ecstatic when she hears the news.

"The Hunter...run..." he whispers. I slowly turn around. Did I hear him correctly?

He must not realize how many days he's been in a coma. "I killed the Hunter. It's no longer here."

My words seem to confuse him; I can see it in his eyes. He looks so frail and broken just lying here in the hospital. It breaks my heart to see him like this.

"You need to rest now Father Mulligan. Everything is going to be okay. The Hunter is gone." I squeeze his hand in reassurance and give him a smile.

He doesn't seem to fully understand what I'm saying but it's enough for him to close his eyes again.

I wait a few minutes before heading out again. I don't want him to wake up and say something else again.

Before I head out of the hospital I let the woman at the front desk know that he was conscious for a few minutes. I'm sure his doctor would want to know that. I head back to my car and decide to call Sister Eleanor.

"Good Afternoon, this is Sister Eleanor. How can I be of assistance to you?"

"Uh Hi Sister Eleanor, this is Charlotte Porter. I just wanted to let you know that Father Mulligan woke up for a few minutes today when I was visiting him. I'm actually on my way out but I thought you would want to know."

"Thank you Miss Porter for letting me know, I appreciate it. I am actually just about to head out to visit him."

"Oh Good...well have a nice visit then."

"Thank you I will. Have a good rest of your day Miss Porter."

I hang up the phone. That conversation was tremendously awkward. I continue to head towards my car but on the way I decide to give Chase a call again. The phone just keeps ringing. Still nothing. Where is he?

I start pulling out of the hospital parking lot but instead of turning right, which would lead me to Brooke's house, I turn left which leads me to Chase's house. I'm curious to see if he's there and just not answering my calls for whatever reason.

I turn into his driveway. For some reason his driveway feels longer than usual. It's probably because I'm more anxious this time. I pull in front of the garage, where I've parked in the past and get out of my car. The garage doors conveniently have windows and when I peak through I see that it is empty. Not a single car in there.