Chapter Twelve

It's been ten days. Ten days since I've killed the Hunter and ten days since I've heard from or have seen Chase. It worries me that he hasn't called and when I call him, he doesn't answer. I try to busy myself with mundane tasks to distract my mind but it doesn't seem to work because at the end of the day, I always think about what he could be doing or where he could be.

I guess part of it could be because the last time I saw him we shared the most amazing kiss. It was like the kind of kiss you see in movies; where the girl is swept off her feet and they live happily ever after. I guess that's why those kisses only exist in movies; they're not meant to happen in real life. I just hope that he's not avoiding me because he regrets it, but I guess that would be better than the other alternative that I keep thinking about.

Chase said that when we kill the Hunter, something worse could come after me. Maybe this is it; maybe the people I grow close to and care for are going to be taken from me. Right now being so alone would be worse than any punishment that could be inflicted upon me.

I get out of bed and head towards the bathroom to take a shower. Every morning I get up and take a shower in hopes that the water will wash away the constant worry, but that fails too. After I shower, I dry myself off and look in the mirror. Each time I look at myself, I just think of that day, mostly because I have this weird scar on my abdomen. It's a perfect circle. It really looks like someone tried to stick a fist in stomach. It's starting to fade but whenever I run my hands over it, pain shoots through my body.

I gently run my fingers over the scar, I ignore the pain. For some reason this gesture brings me peace. It's like I'm addicted to pain and the more it hurts, the better I feel. It's weird. Maybe it's a side effect of almost getting my soul ripped from my body.

I shake my head and try to focus on something else. As I start to get dressed, I hear my phone buzz. I run over to it in hopes that it's Chase. It's not; it's only Brooke

Brooke: Are you coming down soon? I thought you wanted to go shopping today?

Me: Yeah, I'm just finishing getting dressed. I'll be down in a few.

I forgot that yesterday I told Brooke I wanted to go shopping. I was hoping a little retail therapy might help me get out of this funk that I've been in the last few days. I finish getting dressed and just throw my hair up into a bun. I decide drying it would be a waste of time. I grab my phone and purse and head downstairs.

"What took you so long?" Brooke asks and gives me a weird look.

"Nothing, I was just daydreaming in the shower," I say.

She raises one eyebrow and looks at me. She doesn't believe me but she doesn't ask any more questions. She knows that if I want to talk about it then I will, on my own terms. She knows that Chase and I kissed and that I haven't heard from him in a few days and how hurtful it's been not knowing where he is. I did try to cover it up, saying maybe he had to help his dad on a work trip but she doesn't believe a word I say, and frankly neither do I.

We get into Brookes car. "So where do you want to go to?" She asks.

I think about it for a moment, "Let's go see Danielle. I'm sure she's missing your business anyways."

Brooke laughs at my remark. For a moment I feel normal. I'm going shopping with my best friend on a beautiful sunny day. It's crazy to think that just days ago I was battling a Hunter from Hell, literally.

A few minutes later we pull into the parking lot. We get out of her car and head into Danielle's store. We walk through the door and that familiar bell rings. It relaxes me. Danielle is behind the counter ringing up a customer but she smiles and waves at us.