Chapter Eleven

The Hunter hasn't moved since I've turned around. I'm not really sure what it's doing and I have no idea how to start fighting. I try to logically think about the best way to go about this but my pulse is racing so fast, I can barely think. I'm not a trained fighter; I don't know how these things work. Maybe I could do this peacefully, just ask it to leave. No one needs to die here today, especially not me.

I decide to try to talk to it first, "okay, what do you want with me. I won't hurt you unless you try something."

It does nothing, just stands there. Maybe Hunters can't talk; or move apparently.

I try again, "if you just leave now and never come back, I won't try to kill you."

This time it tilts its head to the side. A super creepy gesture; I might be making this worse. It starts to reach out one of its long thin charcoal black arms. It looks as if it was burned before and nothing is left other than blackened bone. I back away as far as I can but the window is right behind me. It proceeds to move forward. It doesn't walk but rather slithers, which makes it much more horrifying.

I just need to reach my arm up and stab this thing but my muscles and my brain don't seem to be communicating very well. I start to tremble as the Hunter gets closer. It's taking its time because it knows I am scared. This is like a game to it.

"I'm warning you, any closer and I'll stab you," I try to firmly say but it doesn't come out as I was hoping.

It didn't seem to work, any moment now and it will be able to grab me. I wish I could just do what I had planned and stab it. For some reason I can't and I don't know why.

"Chase? Something's wrong, I can't seem to control my body. I can't stab it!" I yell so that Chase can hear me through the phone.

He doesn't say anything back. Now I have no idea what to do.

"Chase? Are you there?" I yell again, but still no response.

The Hunter closes in on me and starts to reach for my abdomen. I'm not really sure what the intentions are but I don't want to find out.

"Chase!" I try again but still nothing.

I start to panic and then all of a sudden the panic is gone and is instead replaced with an immeasurable amount of pain. I can't scream or yell; something is keeping me from reacting. All I can do is stand there and watch as this thing kills me. The black smoke starts to surround me and I'm choking for air. I can feel my body being deprived of oxygen.

My knees start to buckle from the pain and darkness starts to take over. I have no idea what this thing is doing but it hurts like I have never experienced before.

"Charlotte! Try to fight it. It's suppressing your ability to fight but you can do it, just try!" Chase says from what sounds like the doorway.

I try to follow his words but it's so hard...

"Charlotte, you don't want to die like this, please!" I hear him pleading for me to fight but I can't.

I can feel the Hunter pierce me even further; I think it is taking its time on purpose.

"Charlotte, think of your family, they wouldn't want you to give up, they would want you to fight."

Chase is right, they would want me to fight but then again if I let the Hunter kill me, I'll be with them again. I would get to see my mom and dad and Wyatt and be a family again...