Chapter 34

"So why would someone write that?" Zachary asked

"I don't know. He's probably crazy like his uncle," Don said, referring to Alex and Lionel.

"Don't say things like that, Don. Wally's not crazy and he comes from his blood too."

Don cursed. "Don't remind me. Wally's okay because Evelyn's genes were normal."

"So are they leaving?" Zachary asked.

"No. Wally invited them to stay at his house."

"What? And you allowed that to happen?"

"Not much I could do. Wally's an adult," Don reminded him.

"Things are getting so complicated. I wish Lionel Carter had never come into our lives."

"Wishes like that are useless brother," Don said. "Lionel was like an angry tornado that ruined everything and everyone that came across him."

"And leaving a mess for the survivors to clean up," Zachary added.

Don frowned. "It's his fault your legs are paralyzed. It's his fault Crystal is gone."

"And Maggie," Zachary whispered. "You ever check on her?"

"We're divorced. I have no reason to see or speak to her."

"You loved her once."

"And she betrayed me by having an affair. Hell, I don't even know if Crystal was really mine."

"Does it matter? You loved her anyway, didn't you?"

"I did. She was my baby girl. Still, it gnaws at me knowing that I loved a girl that may have been sired by the man who helped hurt my sister."

"I understand. What he did to Evelyn and Maggie. Lionel Carter was evil in human form."

"He sure was, Zachary. He deserved to die. The only thing that gives me comfort is the fact that Maggie had to probably kill him."

"They never found the murder weapon," Zachary reminded him. "What if it wasn't Maggie?"

"Are you saying it was someone else?" Don asked.

"It's possible. Maybe that's why that person killed those reporters. They didn't want the truth to come out."

"No one from our generation has the energy for that."

"Speak for yourself." Zachary laughed. "If I wasn't in this wheelchair, I'd be climbing mountains."

"Well, if I were to look back in the past, the person with the most motive is me."

Don noticed his brother was watching him curiously.

"You don't think I murdered them, do you?" Don asked.

Zachary shrugged, before pushing the wheels of his wheelchair forward. "I wouldn't put it past you."

"I didn't kill anyone," Don said. "Don't you believe me?"