Chapter 8

Abby's fingers grazed over the discolored skin

"Impossible," she whispered. "It was a dream. No, a nightmare. There's no...no way. No, it's impossible."

Memories gushed forward of Bryce, being a bit too rough in his lovemaking. He used to purposely leave a hickey when he knew she had an upcoming job interview. It was yet another way to control her.

"No Bryce! I told you I have a job interview tomorrow!"

"For what? I can support you. Are you trying to leave me? What? Did you stop loving me all of a sudden?"

"Of course not. I just want to have a job. To earn my own money," she'd argue.

"Don't you trust me to support you?"

"That's not what this is about, Bryce."

"It's not? Then explain to me what this is about. Why do you all of a sudden feel the need to get a job?"

"It's not all of a sudden. I have a degree. I want to use it."

"Yeah right. Tell me the truth, Abby. Do you want to meet other men? Is that it? leave me for another man? You think I'll let you go? Baby, I'll follow you to the ends of the earth if you ever left me. I'd be your shadow. You wouldn't be able to take a dump without me knowing about it."

"That's disgusting, Bryce."

"No, that's what's going to happen if you ever try to leave me. You're mine, Abby."

Abby shook the past from her head and clutched her beaded bracelet. She took several deep breaths. "Stop it. He can't hurt you anymore. No one can hurt you. No one!" There was no way Bryce would be able to get to her. None.

There was no one else in this cabin except her and her new boss, Alex Carter. She would never have imagined him as the type to secretly try and attack her in her sleep but Abby knew first-hand that disturbed people came in all shapes and sizes.

Anger bubbled deep in her belly as she thought of Alex Carter pretending to be concerned after she had woken from her nightmare. Had he just been afraid of being caught?

"Pervert!" Abby hissed. She pulled on her robe and made her way to his bedroom, her footsteps sounding like angry beats on a drum. Her fury was the melody pushing her forward.

She didn't bother with knocking. She didn't feel the need as Abby assumed he had already tasted her against her will. As far as she was concerned, he was guilty and her anger already convicted him.

Her unexpected entry caught him off-guard and he mumbled something before recovering and remembering where he was at. "Ms. Redding, what exactly do you think you're doing?"

A moment of panic welled up in her. What if I'm wrong and he's not a pervert? Abby squashed down the doubt as she reminded herself that it was just the two of them in the cabin. Her index finger pointed towards him in accusation."What am I doing here? What were you doing in my room?"