Chapter 33

"Dalton Carter, are you spying on our son?" Joyce Carter, Dalton's wife, was standing behind him, tapping a red Christian Louboutin heel against the marble floor of their study

"Dammit, woman! I've told you before. Don't sneak up on me!" Dalton tucked his cell phone away but it was too late. Joyce Carter was on to him.

"I visited Maggie," Joyce admitted. "If only she'd tell everyone what really happened that night, Alex wouldn't feel the need to search for the truth. How can she not care what he's going through?"

"You know his personality. He's always been an inquisitive and stubborn child. He'd want to know the truth no matter what."

"Like someone else I know," Joyce said, referring to her husband.

"Lionel and I were always stubborn. You and I have done everything to give him a decent upbringing. We've taught him right from wrong. And yet--"

"And yet, what? Dalton, don't tell me you're worried that Alex will do something wrong."

"I've told you before that I worry about the dark streak Lionel had," Dalton said.

"Yes, but things like that aren't hereditary. Lionel was always getting into trouble. He was always troubled."

"But why? He had the same privileges as I did growing up. What was the difference? Why was he a sociopath who tried to hurt anyone that got too close to him? He was narcissistic and vindictive. When I think of what he did to that poor girl."

"You don't know if he killed her," Joyce reminded him. "There was no murder weapon. All we know is that Maggie Caldwell was alive with two dead bodies. Her daughter Crystal and her lover Lionel. Most of it was hushed up by the time our lawyers were through with the police department."

"She's never been able to talk about that night. The police assumed she killed Lionel for killing Crystal but there was never any proof. She's been mute with the shock of it all." Dalton sighed, running a hand over his tired face.

"I don't know if I should tell you this but when I visited her at Crest Ridge. She talked to me."

"She hasn't talked in years! What did she say?" Dalton leaned forward in curiosity.

"She said that Alex had evil in him," Joyce muttered.

Dalton laughed. "She really is crazy."

"Stop laughing, Dalton. I think she really believes it. Maybe after what she went through with Lionel, she really does believe that Alex is evil."

"Well, I won't stand for it. For all we know, she murdered her daughter and my brother."

"Dalton--"

"No! I won't put up with her speaking or even thinking our Alex is evil. He's a good man and we raised him well. I'd punish anyone who crossed my boy." His eyes narrowed as he hatched a plan.