Chapter 25

"It's almost morning, Don

"It's almost morning, Don." Zachary was peering through the Venetian blinds in his living room, staring at the subsiding rain.

"You said Wally didn't go to the cabin last night. Did you call him?" Sheriff Don asked his brother.

Zachary scratched the skin beneath his rugged beard before pushing on the tires of his wheelchair and moving closer to his brother. "It's too early to call him. He'll get suspicious. Just let him sleep."

"Suspicious of what?" Don asked innocently, his eyebrows raised. "Just call him up and ask him if he's heard from Carter yet."

"You know, I'm getting tired of you telling me what to do all the time. You're not exactly in a position to threaten me, are you? Not with your secrets, anyway."

Don laughed. "I have nothing to hide."

"Is that so?" Zachary's mouth twisted into an awful grin before shaking his head and pulling out his cell phone.

"You gonna call him now?" Don asked.

Zachary stared at his cell, a hesitancy in his voice. "You know Wally's a fragile kid. He never asked for any of this."

"He's pushing thirty," Don reminded him. "He's hardly a kid."

"I know but he's got a fragile mind. If he knew the truth, it'd destroy him."

"That's why we need to get Carter out of town as soon as we can," Don muttered. "He tricked me into selling that cabin. I would've fought it but I needed the money."

"If it was going to be such a big deal, why the hell did you sell that cabin to him?"

"I just told you." Don tossed his coffee and leaned against the sink. "I didn't know it was him. That bastard used a third party to buy the cabin. It was like he knew I wouldn't sell it to him. These Carters are all the same."

"Not all of them. You two sure are cordial in public," Zachary said, still not calling Wally.

"Well I'm the sheriff. I can't just ignore him. Besides, if I did that I'd seem suspicious."

"Suspicious? I thought you had nothing to hide." Zachary chuckled, knowing he caught his brother in a lie.

"Worry about yourself, brother."

"How can I when I'm too worried about you and everything coming out about Evelyn?"

"It's been so long since she died." Don sat down and watched as Zachary punched a few button on his cell phone.

"Hey, Wally," Zachary forced his normally gruff voice to sound cordial. "I know it's early but I wanted to make sure you weren't fool enough to head to the cabin in this weather. Did Carter ask you to come out?"

A few beats passed before he continued, "You still haven't heard from him? Well they have a generator so it's no surprise they didn't call."

After he disconnected the call, he shook his head. "Wally said he hasn't heard from them."