Chapter 28

"Just hold still, alright?" Alex was sitting next to Abby, trying to swab some alcohol on her scraped wrists

"Just hold still, alright?" Alex was sitting next to Abby, trying to swab some alcohol on her scraped wrists. Alex had been the one to remove the dead birds outside the cabin. He was convinced it was Wally attempting to scare them once again. After he'd gotten Abby safely inside the cabin, he went back to the boulders to retrieve the knife.

"I'm just worried. Are you sure we shouldn't call the police? What if we end up going to jail for hiding evidence?" Abby asked.

"All we found was a knife. That doesn't mean it's evidence. Besides, what do you plan to tell the cops? I think I saw a ghost and she led me to her murder weapon from over twenty years ago? No, they'd lock us up in an insane asylum. Besides, I don't exactly trust Sheriff Don."

"Well, this has been an insane week," Abby murmured.

"I wouldn't say insane," Alex corrected as he placed a bandage over one of her cuts. "More like...surprising."

Abby looked up and stared directly into Alex's blue eyes. He was centimeters away from her. She gulped.

"What's the matter? Are you not feeling well?" Alex asked, his hand reaching forward to check her temperature.

Abby shook her head. "I don't know. Everything has been happening so fast. It's a lot to take in. This cabin is haunted. You agree with me on that, right?"

"To me haunted means there's uninvited strangers or unwanted spirits," Alex explained. "Crystal isn't a stranger. This is her home and she's my sister."

"So it doesn't bother you?"

"No. It's actually somewhat comforting to know that she's still around. Now, if you were to tell anyone this, I'd deny it."

"Can't have top businessman Alex Carter admitting he believes in ghosts, can we?" Abby said with a smile.

"No," Alex said softly. "I have thousands of employees who depend on me for their livelihoods. If everyone began to think I was some strange guy who went around following the ghost of his dead sister, they'd think I was crazy."

"But you are some strange guy who goes around following the ghost of your sister." Abby chuckled.

"Shh...let's keep that between us. Besides, I wasn't following her. I was following you."

Abby felt a warm flutter in her belly that she chose to ignore.

"We should probably shower and change," Alex said. "I have a guy who can help us with that knife."

Alex's phone rang and he smiled when he saw who was calling. He answered, "Yes, mother?"

Abby stood up and walked away to give him some privacy but she could still overhear his conversation.

"Who cares what they write? I'm a grown man. I'm not going to discuss my personal life with you. Fine. I told you I need to be here. Yes. I'll talk to you later."