Chapter 15

"Abby, are you okay? What's going on?" The male voice felt like a comforting balm on Abby's soul

"Abby, are you okay? What's going on?" The male voice felt like a comforting balm on Abby's soul. "It's not like you to call so late."

"Jason? I'm so sorry. I know it's late but I didn't have anyone to turn to." Abby clutched her cell phone as she spoke to the therapist and group leader of her counseling circle. She had met Jason shortly after the grand jury decided not to try her for Bryce's murder.

"Are you in a safe place right now?" Jason asked, his voice calm and even across the phone.

"I-I don't know."

"Is anyone with you?"

"No," Abby whispered. "I'm alone right now. At least I think I am."

"Abby, I want you to take a deep breath and slowly tell me what's going on," Jason said.

"I-I think I'm losing it, Jason," Abby admitted, tears beginning to fall. She swiped at her face with the back of her hand. "I told you I got a job, remember?"

"Yes. Does this have something to do with your new job?"

"Sort of. I'm not really sure. I'm so confused. I'm sorry, Jason. I didn't mean to call you so late and waste your time." Her heart was racing in her chest.

"You're not wasting my time, Abby. You and everyone else in the group have my number for a reason. Now, I want you to take a moment to breathe. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes, I'm sorry." Abby inhaled deeply, held her breath for a few seconds, and then exhaled. She did this several more times until her heart rate slowed. "I'm ready," Abby said softly.

"Okay, great. I'm going to ask you some questions but I want you to take a breath before you answer, okay?"

"Okay."

"Where are you?"

Abby's eyes bounced around the pink walls surrounding her. "I'm in a cabin. I told you I got a new job. Well, my boss sent me to a town called Bayless. I was supposed to help him get the cabin ready before he arrived."

"How has that been going for you?" Jason asked. His voice was like ASMR to Abby and she took another deep breath before answering.

"It's been weird. I'm not really sure what to think. If I tell you what's been going on, I'm going to sound crazy."

"You can tell me anything," Jason reminded her.

She took another deep breath. "Bad things have been happening since I arrived. I keep hearing a little girl laughing. I swear I'm going to end up in the ER with as many times as I've hit my head. It's a miracle I don't have a concussion at this point."

"You hit your head?"

Abby groaned. "Yes, a few times."

"A few times? Were they accidents?"