Chapter 8: Into the Light

I guess he could tell by the look on my face when he came home that I had discovered his secret.

The look on his face was a mixture of surprise and... well, maybe even a bit of fear. He quickly regained composure and smiled at me.

"So, I see you've, ah, figured it out, have you?" He kept his eyes on the floor.

"I think I have, but I won't know until you tell me. Just be honest with me, okay? I'm sure I can handle the truth."

Jareth looked at me with his bright eyes, and I didn't like what I saw there. Sadness traced his features and planted itself on his lips as he began to speak.

"Lauren, please understand that I'm not how I used to be. You see, your mother and I were very much in love. At least, I like to at least pretend that she reciprocated my feelings."

So it was true, then. I really didn't know how to feel about that. I mean, I had feelings for him, for Christ's sake. That's almost like having feelings for your father if you look at it that way.

He continued. "I spent all my time leading young girls on because I needed subjects for my kingdom. I'd promise to take away all their troubles in the form of annoying siblings. Since they thought that I really loved them, they trusted me. Once they figured out that nothing got better, I led them into the labyrinth, not intending to ever let them reach the babies. Only two ever did, and one happened to be your mother. At first, she was like everyone else to me; nothing special. I soon realized that I had actually let myself fall in love with this flighty, emotional teenager. It was such a stupid mistake. Of course, she took Toby and left me." At this point, he stared at a spot just above my head.

"You remind me of her so much, you know." Normally, that wouldn't mean much to me. Coming from the man I had loved since before I even knew he was real, it meant everything.

"How do I remind you of her so much? She's the complete opposite!"

"Well, maybe now," he said. "but you would be surprised."

I had mixed emotions about everything and I couldn't quite seem to form a coherent question. Instead, I sat there with him in comfortable silence for a while.

Finally, he answered just about every unspoken thought, worry and question in my head.

"I watched you because I care about you. I brought you here because I wanted to make sure you were safe. At one time, I thought that I was still in love with the woman who had moved on and left me in the dust. The past few months has taught me differently. Please just listen to what I have to say before you say anything, okay?" He waited for my response. I nodded my head and prepared myself for what came next.

"Lauren, I love you. I've fallen in love with you. As I watched you sleep and smile and laugh, saw your eyes twinkle with wonder at things that no one else would stop to notice, I've fallen more and more for you. Let me get this straight now; it is not because of your similarities to your mother. She's grown and changed. It's because you are your own person and you are wonderful."

I tried to say something, but the world went black as I fell to the floor.