Chapter 2: Drastic Measures

Elyse let out a small whimper as the front door bursted open.

"Shhh," I whispered. "It'll be okay. You stay here and I'll go figure out what it is. You hide under the bed and you stay there. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, sissy. But-"

"No buts. Shhh."

I tiptoed across the hall into my room and grabbed my baseball bat. I heard nothing but silence from downstairs, and that scared me the most. What could anyone possibly want from here? I soon figured out as I peeped into the kitchen.

It was my stepfather.

With my heart racing, I observed what he was doing very carefully. He was scribbling on the notepad when I noticed that he had a pistol in the waistband of his tattered jeans. Obviously, he meant to use it on someone because I made out what he was writing:

"By the time you read this note, your precious daughter will be long gone and I will have taken what's rightfully mine. I hope you are enjoying life with the stupid fuck that you call your boyfriend. Good luck on the rest of your pathetic life, bitch."

That's when I knew it was time to do something, anything. He was planning to kill me and take my sister with him. So what did I do?

I called on him.

My phone was dead and he was blocking my only exit. If I tried to escape through the window, I would fall and seriously injure myself. That wouldn't help at all because my sister can't go very far on her own.

Did I really believe it was going to work?

Well, I didn't really have another choice but to.