cabin four

"you're joking." i gape.

"i swear on the existence and adorableness of all penguins alive on this very planet." luke states, facing my lying body with one held up hand as if he was truly being honest as possible.

"and thats an utterly solemn matter to be swearing by, my dear maia." he finishes his embarrassing first date story with a satisfied smile, propping back on his hands. i laugh, covering my hideously large smile with my bare wrist.

"why do you always do that?" he frowns, moving my arm away. i just shrug in response, sitting back up. i run my fingers through my short brown locks and shake out any excess pieces of grass.

"maiaaaaaaaa," luke whines, as i avoided answering his question and accidentally showering him with the green clippings previously removed from my mop of hair.

"aw, sorry lukey." i say with a apologetic smile and lean over to brush off the earthly remnants from his shirt.

"there ya go. good as new, yea?" i grin proudly, with my hands on my hips. luke just chuckles and rolls his eyes before nudging me playfully with his elbow.

"hey, you know what i just realized?" luke asks me, looking over the indigo lake waters up ahead. "what?" i question, pursing my lips and look at luke.

"i hardly know anything about you maia.!" luke pouts dramatically.

"well, what would you like to know?" i reply, bringing my knees to my chest and scooch over to sit in front of luke properly.

"umm.. probably for starters, whats your full name?" he states with a dimpled smile.

"maia elle matthews." i answer confidently.

"that's an absolutely beautiful name, maia." he compliments playfully, resting his hand on his chin and gazes at me with dramatic admiration.

"alright, lover boy, next question." i giggle and shove his shoulder.

although, i can't help but resist the blush creeping its way onto my cheeks as he laughs slightly and blushes as well.

i frown and hold my stomach lightly before luke gets the chance to notice.

why do i feel butterflies?

++++

"christmas or birthdays?" i ask, ripping off another hunk of cerulean cotton candy from the plastic bag luke pocketed at the mess hall.

"christmas definitely. around that time, at the hemmings' household, there's no other place i'd rather anticipate a plump bearded man in a red suit to shimmy down the chimney at." luke informs with a chuckle. 

"any siblings? besides my little troye boy." luke questions, before scarfing down the last piece of the sugary snack and throwing away the remaining trash. i giggle at his puffed out cheeks while he ate and shake my head.

"nope," i proclaim, popping the 'p'. "you?"

"two older brothers." luke answered with a huff.

"what's with the huffing and puffing lucas?" i ask raising my eyebrow at him before cracking a toothy smile.

"they can be a handful at times.." he sighs dramatically before throwing me a smile as well. "did you just quote the three little pigs tale?"

"and you say you're the dorkiest person ever." i laugh, shaking my head.

"hey! not fair! you said 'dorkiest boy ever' not person." luke complained, crossing his arms over his chest.

"okay, okay. i guess you got me there.." i confess with a shy smile, and throw my hands up defensively.