I snorted, causing Jason to burst into a fit of laughter. With panicked hands, I grabbed my menu, stood it up by its edges, and hid my face behind it.

"What are you doing?" Jason asked, his voice coloured with humour as he nudged my knee with his.

"It's a menu fort," I explained from behind the card, hoping that the angry woman wouldn't catch me laughing at her. 

A moment later, I felt Jason shifting around the booth until he was right next to me, his entire side brushing against mine. He crouched until his head was also obscured by the menu.

His face rested a mere inch away from mine when he asked, "Do you mind sharing your menu fort with me?" 

The proximity of his piercing eyes and alluring lips caused my heart to slam against my ribcage. I dragged my gaze away from his, focusing on the menu instead.

"I don't mind," I managed to whisper. 

"The groom is okay with this? What is wrong with these people?" the blonde stranger demanded. "Why do all the crazies want me to plan their weddings?"

Jason and I collapsed into laughter again.

"Ugh, I hate my job!" she screamed, her words followed by a harsh slamming noise. 

A deafening silence followed. I dared myself to look at Jason.

"She hung up, I think," he said softly, his cheeks tinged red with laughter.

Suddenly, the air around us was charged with an awkward, tense energy as I stared into Jason's eyes, transfixed. My pulse thrummed rapidly against my neck as his gaze slowly drifted to my lips.

"Hey, guys?" a familiar voice called from nearby, shattering the moment. 

Jason and I emerged from behind the menu to find Rhonda expertly balancing two plates and glasses of lemonade in her arms. We thanked her in hushed voices as she set the dishes down in front of us.

"Do you need anything else?" she asked, smiling politely.

"No, thank you," we said in unison.

"All right, enjoy your meal!" Rhonda said before leaving the table.

At the sight of the steaming hot wraps and cool lemonade, hunger and thirst overpowered every other emotion. The chilled drink provided sweet relief against the spicy, flavourful wrap that burned my tongue.

"Did you like it?" Jason asked after our plates had been emptied. 

"Yeah!" I gushed. "Thank you for bringing me here."

"You're welcome," he smiled. 

We lapsed into an awkward silence as we waited for Rhonda to bring the cheque. I reached inside my backpack for my wallet, but Jason stopped me.

"I'm paying," he insisted.

"Let's share it," I persuaded, unwilling to take no for an answer. "Please?"

"Okay," he complied finally. "But I'm buying dessert."

"Deal," I grinned.

We split the cheque and tip before heading back outside. Fortunately, the heat had subsided as the sun surrendered to the early evening.

Once Jason and I climbed back into his car, all I could think about was that moment behind my menu fort in Wrap and Roll. I couldn't forget the feeling of his leg pressed against mine, the way the skin around his eyes crinkled when he laughed. Despite the air-conditioning inside the Chevrolet, my skin tingled with heat as I recollected the way Jason had looked at me, his eyes landing on my lips for one heart-stopping instant.

As we drove on, a heavy silence hung in the air, interrupted only by the muffled sounds of traffic. I risked a glance at Jason, searching his focused features for any indications to his thoughts.

Is he thinking about it, too? 

The question demanded all my concentration for the rest of the ride, my mind failing to register the sophisticated, unique beauty of Hollywood Boulevard. I barely noticed anything around me as Jason pulled into a crowded parking lot.

"Close your eyes," he instructed me, holding the passenger side door open.

"What?" I asked, puzzled. "Really?" 

"Really," he insisted with an infectious smile.

Shouldering my backpack, I stepped out of the car and closed my eyes. Jason's hands landed on my shoulders softly, an involuntary shiver coursing through my bones at the touch. 

"Okay, I'm going to guide you there," he said, his voice emanating from right behind my ear. "Don't open your eyes until I say so."

As Jason led me forward, I fought the temptation to look around. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally stopped walking. 

"Okay," he said, easing his hands off my shoulders. "Open your eyes."

I blinked rapidly as my eyes adjusted to all the vibrant lights and vivid colours. 

"Oh my god," I gasped when I read the bright sign in front of me. "Is this real?"

"Yes," Jason laughed. "It's real."

The 'dessert place' turned out to be something so incredible that I almost forgot all about that moment in Wrap and Roll.

Almost.